Digital Print Centre
Big prints, low cost
The Creative Arts and Industries Print Centre is a unique large format print service available to students and staff across the whole University. There is a focus on fine art printing, however there is capacity for large poster printing also.
All information required to request a print is available here. Paper samples are available outside the print centre, in lab 526 and the Elam computer labs.
For all queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Location and hours
Creative Arts and Industries Student Centre
Level 2, Architecture and Planning Building (Building 421)
26 Symonds Street
(behind the childcare centre)
Phone: 09 923 1773
The Print Centre is open 1pm - 5pm, Monday - Friday.
Please note - the Print Centre will be closed 21 December 2016 - 30 January 2017.
Request a print
How to request a print:
- Top up your print account (no files will be printed before payment is recieved)
- Put your files in the Print Centre dropbox - Mac Dropbox or Windows Dropbox
* Windows users for the time being please copy and paste the following into the 'Start' Menu:
(The start menu is on the computer not the web browser. Click the windows logo on the bottom left of your screen)
* Mac users for the time being please copy and paste the following link into the connect to server window:
(To open the connect to server window select command k and click on the desktop.)
- Fill out one request form
- Sign in using your username and password. If you are using Mac OS, you will need to enter uoa\ before your username eg: uoa\student
- Mac OS: select 'open with finder'
- Please take care with this - files will be printed to these specifications alone. Missed information may result in your file not being printed.
- You will be notified by email when your print job is completed. Jobs may not be printed if the file does not meet the specification listed above on this page, or if the request form is incomplete.
- ePOS stations on campus (the Elam library has an ePOS station)
- Creative Arts and Industries studios and labs have a dropbox shortcut on the desktop. Look for the arrow icon called 'Dropboxes'.
Please note: You must be connected to the UOA network to use the dropbox as a file delivery method.
No layers: Files must by flattened and have no layers, paths or alpha channels
File format: TIFF, JPEG or PDF
Size: Max file size - 500MB
Colour mode: Adobe 1998
RGB: RGB files only - no CMYK
File delivery: All files are to be submitted to the Digital Print Centre dropbox folder
Epson Stylus Pro 7900: Fine art printing, Photos, high resolution images. Max width: 61cm
Epson Stylus Pro 9890: Fine art printing, Photos, high resolution images. Max width: 111.8cm
Epson Sure Colour: Ideal for poster printing and graphic work. Architectural designs and plans. Max roll width: 91.4cm
Please check the media type with the Print Technician before commencing.
You will need to:
- know the weight (gsm) of the paper. Paper should be between 100-300 gsm.
- give a rough description of the type of paper.
- know the exact measurements of the paper.
- provide the ICC colour profile for the paper you have chosen.
If you don't know the ICC colour profile for the paper you have chosen, you must be aware that the file may not print as it appears on screen. We suggest you do one or more test prints first. We have a range of ICC profiles provided by Epson that match our setup. You may be able to use one of these profiles for the paper you have provided, but in this case we will not provide a guarantee for this service.
- print on coated paper; matte paper only please. If you would like to use inkjet photo paper, please see the Print Technician first - this may be possible.
- print on both sides of the paper.
The minimum charge is $4.25 for 1ml of ink used.
FAQs and helpful hints
Can I print without a border?
No, please take this into account when creating your image. Our default border/margin is 3.5mm. Please check the price list for the maximum width of each paper type.
Can I print on both sides?
No, we do not offer this service.
What is the smallest image I can print?
A2 or 59.5 x 42cm
How will I know when my print is ready?
You will receive an email from the Technician.
Can I connect to the dropbox from home?
No, you must be connected to the UoA network to use the dropbox as a file delivery method.
Can I connect to the dropbox from my laptop?
Yes, but you must use the UoA wifi, not the UoA guest wifi.
The term A1 represents a paper size with dimension of approximately 594x841mm. A0 has twice that area. A2 has half the area of an A1. View a paper size chart.
If you wish to print a large number of small images (smaller than A2), please format these into a single page. Either the Digital Print Technician or the IT Helpdesk can assist you with this. Please ensure that file formats are either TIF, JPG or PDF only.
Please note: We print on rolls of paper, the widths are given above. If your printed area is less than the roll width of the paper you have chosen, the Print Technician will not cut your print to size for you. This is a printing service only. We do provide a sharp guillotine, which is set aside for our customers only.