Fees and money matters

In the long term, postgraduate study has the potential to increase your income substantially. In the short term, however, it’s likely that you’ll need to think carefully about how to pay tuition fees and living expenses.

The following advice and information will help with financial planning.

Financial support for doctoral students

Doctoral students can seek support from the University’s PReSS (Postgraduate Research Student Support) fund. This fund can be used to cover direct research costs, conferences and materials that can’t be covered by other research grants. Funding will be provided for every doctoral student for research costs, conferences and materials. The University of Auckland is currently the only university in New Zealand to provide such funding.

Download the PReSS form here

The Creative Arts and Industries Conference and Creative Event Fund (CCEF) can provide support to doctoral students to attend conferences and other research-related events.

Our schools can provide support through PBRF funds where criteria for allocation of these funds include provision for support of postgraduate students.

More information about financing your studies


Creative Arts and Industries postgraduate allowances

Postgraduate allowances are available to all of our postgraduate students to cover equipment user charges, office consumables, photocopying, printing, binding, interloan charges and internet access costs that are not subsidised by the Library or Faculty. All claims must relate directly to academic work associated with one of the faculty's programme of study.

Note: International exchange students are not eligible for postgraduate allowances.

Students may claim direct costs (receipts required) up to:

  • $500 per annum for doctoral students
  • $250 per annum for research masters students
  • $200 per annum for taught masters students
  • $150 per annum for postgraduate diploma and bachelors honours students.

Graduate Teaching Assistant / Teaching Assistants

Expressions of interest

Postgraduate students may apply for Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) or Teaching Assistant (TA) positions that enable them to work as tutors. GTA’s and TA’s provide teaching and marking support in undergraduate courses. This is an opportunity to gain valuable professional teaching experience. Graduate Advisers can provide more information on the tutoring role and application details.

Apply online here



Student allowances

The student allowance is a weekly payment to help with your living costs while in full-time study on an approved programme. It is available to New Zealand citizens and permanent residents who have held New Zealand residency for at least two years.

For more information, visit the StudyLink website.


Student loans

To be eligible for a student loan you must be a New Zealand citizen or have been granted permanent resident status. You must be studying full-time for a minimum of 12 weeks, or part-time for a full year, at an approved tertiary institution. You may apply for tuition fees, course-related costs (for example, books, stationery and travel) and living costs (living costs are not available to part-time students).

Applications for loans should be made at least one month before study begins.

For more information, visit the StudyLink website.



These fees are for the first year of study in the following postgraduate programmes. They are for domestic students only (New Zealand and Australian citizens and permanent residents). The calculation is approximate and based on a full-time course load of 120 points per annum. Use as a guide only. After you have applied, accepted an offer of a place and enrolled, you can generate a statement/invoice via Student Services Online.

In all cases the fees per point will be charged at the rate set for that subject irrespective of the qualification the course is taken for. For detailed information regarding all fees, including how to pay, visit the main University web page Fees.


Further information

Other useful information about financing your study and money management can be found via the following links:

Financial advice
Tips for creating a budget and managing your money.
Cost of Living
Approximate costs for everyday living expenses in Auckland.

For further enquiries about fees and money matters, use the Student Financials enquiry form.