Dr Kai Gu
PhD (Planning), MArch, BEng (Architecture)
Following research appointments at the University of Birmingham, UK and the University of Waterloo, Canada, Kai Gu moved to the University of Auckland in 2006. He now teaches urban design at the School of Architecture and Planning. Most of his research publications are on urban morphology and urban landscape management. His field-based urban research has been supported by the British Economic and Social Research Council, the Canadian International Development Agency and the Natural Science Foundation of China. He is Secretary-General of the International Seminar on Urban Form.
Research | Current
- Urban morphology and urban design
- Methods of characterising and managing the urban landscape
- Urban planning and design of Chinese cities
Teaching | Current
UrbPlan 708 Urban Design Studio; UrbPlan 733 Sustainable Urban Design Studio; Planning 405 Planning and Urban Design
Secretary-General, International Seminar on Urban Form; Associate Head (International), School of Architecture and Planning; Member, School Research and Postgraduate Committee
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Whitehand, J. W. R., & Gu, K. (2017). Urban fringe belts: evidence from China. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, 44 (1), 80-99. 10.1177/0265813515608849
- Whitehand, J. W. R., Conzen, M. P., & Gu, K. (2016). Plan analysis of historical cities: a Sino-European comparison. Urban Morphology, 20 (2), 139-158. Related URL.
- Xie, P. F., & Gu, K. (2015). The changing urban morphology: Waterfront redevelopment and event tourism in New Zealand. Tourism Management Perspectives, 15, 105-114. 10.1016/j.tmp.2015.05.001
- Whitehand, J. W. R., Gu, K., Conzen, M. P., & Whiteahnd, S. M. (2014). The typological process and the morphological period: a cross-cultural assessment. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, 41 (3), 512-533. 10.1068/b39097
- Gu, K., & Zhang, J. (2014). Cartographical sources for urban morphological research in China. Urban Morphology, 18 (1), 5-21. Related URL.
- Gu, K., & Tian, Y. (2014). The structure of urban form: Conzenian and Caniggian ideas. In Y. Tian, K. Gu, W. Tao (Eds.) Urban Morphology, Architectural Typology and Cities in Transition (pp. 1-9). Beijing: Science Press. Related URL.
- Tian, Y., Gu, K., & Tao, W. (2014). Urban Morphology, Architectural Typology and Cities in Transition. Beijing: Science Press. Pages: 197. Related URL.
- Gu, K. (2014). From urban landscape units to morphological coding: Exploring an alternative approach to zoning in Auckland, New Zealand. Urban Design International, 19 (2), 159-174. 10.1057/udi.2013.21