Ms Kathy Ellen Waghorn
BFA, BAS, BArch (Hons)
I am a Senior Lecturer and Associate Programme Director (Design Studios) at the School of Architecture and Planning. With a background in both visual arts and architecture I deliver multi-disciplinary projects in exhibition, publication and event-based formats. My research practice proceeds from a hunch that a correspondence between art and architecture might expand the field of architecture through foregrounding the complexity of place. Activating knowing-through-practising, I adopt an experimental position, moves in agile ways across and between art and architecture, amateur and expert, outsider and local. Through projects and encounters, this experimental position cultivates a practico-social-spatial energetics, catalysing situations and influencing others to invoke feeling for place as a political, ethical and aesthetic task.
Research | Current
- Urban pedagogy
- Social practice in art and architecture
- Discourse on 'the home'
- Architectural representation
- Pedagogy of studio based teaching
Teaching | Current
In my role as Associate Programme Director (Design) I direct all design studio courses at undergraduate and post-graduate levels in the architecture programmes.
I supervise students in the MArch Prof and MArch Research.
- Associate Creative Director, Future Islands, the New Zealand Pavilion at the 15th Venice Biennale of Architecture, Reporting from the Front.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Walker, C., & Waghorn, K. E. Future Islands: NZIA at the Venice BiennaleObjectspace, Auckland, New Zealand. 28/7/2017 - 18/9/2017 Related URL.
- Waghorn, K. E., & Walker, C. Future Islands: New Zealand Exhibition, Venice Architecture Biennale 2016Plazzo Bollani, Venice, Italy. 25/5/2016 - 27/11/2016 Related URL.
- Waghorn, K. (2016). Diagram for make believe: imagining a new park for New Lynn. In C. Barton, S. Twose, S. Treadwell (Eds.) Drawing is / not Building (pp. 84-84). Wellington: Adam Art Gallery Te Pataka Toi Victoria University Press.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Sarah Treadwell
- Waghorn, K. E. (Ed.) (2016). The New Zealand exhibition Future Islands: Biennale Architettura 2016. Auckland, New Zealand: The New Zealand Institute of Architects.
- Waghorn, K. E., Haringa, H., Jones, R., Khoo, C. V., Seung Kim, S., Lapwood, A., ... Ryan, H. Muddy Urbanism: an LA dialogueWUHO (Woodbury University Hollywood Outpost), Los Angeles, USA. 7/11/2014 - 23/11/2014 Related URL.
- Waghorn, K. E. (Ed.) (2014). The lab: At the 5th Auckland Triennial, 2013. Auckland, New Zealand: Auckland Art Gallery/Toi o Tāmaki and the University of Auckland School of Architecture and Planning. Pages: 79. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Michael Davis, Andrew Barrie
- Longley, A. M., Fitzpatrick, K., Sunde, C., Ehlers, C., Martin, R., Brown, C., ... Waghorn, K. (2013). Streams of writing from a fluid city. Qualitative Inquiry, 19 (9), 736-740. 10.1177/1077800413500936
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alys Longley, Gary Brierley, Carol Brown, Katie Fitzpatrick
- Waghorn, K. E., Cruz, T., Patel, N., & Mecredy, E. Muddy Urbanism: a project for The Lab at "If you were to live here . " the 5th Auckland TriennialAuckland Art Gallery. 9/5/2013 - 19/5/2013 Related URL.