Dr Manfredo Manfredini
Manfredo studied architecture and urban design in Milan, Rome and Berlin.
Since 2016 he is Honorary Professor at the Hunan University, Changsha, China.
Manfredo has consistently been involved in fundamental and applied research projects, both locally and internationally research over a wide range of topics in architectural theory and criticism, as well as in design at architectural and urban scales. After teaching architecture and urban design in Italy, Germany and China, since 2010 he has been teaching architecture and urban design at the University of Auckland. His current research interests address post-urban spatialisation forms and correlated design aspects, particularly focusing on valorisation, re-qualification and redevelopment of architectural and urban heritage; affordable and special housing; and education in architecture. Each of these areas has been successfully developed in collaboration with international and multi-disciplinary teams, as proven by the track record of consistent publications, successful grants (national and international) and awards (e.g. first price Biennale di Venezia, Sironi Group), and invited participation in major global events (e.g. United Nation Habitat III).
Research | Current
- Urban design history, theory and criticism
- Architecture and spatial design history, theory and criticism
- Affordable and social housing history, theory and practice
- Modern European architecture history, theory and criticism
- Sustainable development
- Education in architecture
Teaching | Current
BAS, MArch and PhD Architecture and Urban Design
PhD in Architecture; Candidate: Farzad Zamani Gharaghooshi; thesis title: Rethinking Public Place: A Critical Analysis of Urban Social Movements in Age of Digital Technologies.
PhD in Urban Design; Candidate: Xin Tian; thesis title: The Civic Integrated Megamall Enclosures as a rising urban component in rapidly developing Chinese cities.
PhD in Urban Design; candidate: Raja Jusmartinah; thesis title: The malled-kampung as emerging urban element in Indonesian cities.
PhD in Urban Planning; candidate: Eva Zombori; thesis title: Designing for indeterminacy and inclusivity in public space.
PhD in Urban Design; candidate: Ramin Norouzian, Thesis title: The effect of electronic media on interaction in the contemporary city.
PhD in Urban Design; candidate: Sergio Rugik Gomes; thesis title: Gated territories - Territorial Organization and Control in the Architecture and Urban Design of Gated Communities.
PhD in Urban Design; candidate: Dung Anh Ta, this title: The production of plural spatialities - Counter-space territories in the streets.
Honorary Professor, Hunan University, Changsha China
School Director (International Engagement)
Areas of expertise
Architecture and urban design
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Manfredini, M., Zamani Garaghooshi, F., & Leardini, P. (2017). Instances of emerging agonistic spatialities in the contemporary city: The production of differential geographies in the public space of Istanbul. Asian Journal of Humanities and Social Studies, 5 (5), 281-291. Related URL.
- Manfredini, M., Xin, T., Jenner, R., & Besgen, A. (2017). “Transductive Urbanism” a method for the analysis of the relational infrastructure of malled metropolitan centres in Auckland, New Zealand. Athens Journal of Architecture, 3 (4), 411-440.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ross Jenner
- Manfredini, M., & Ta, A. D. (2017). The production of pluralistic spatialities: The persistence of counter-space territories in the streets of Hanoi, Vietnam. In R. Galdini, A. Marata (Eds.) La Città creativa: Spazi pubblici e luoghi della quotidianità [Creative Cities: Public Spaces and Everyday Places] (pp. 373-381). Rome, Italy: CNAPPC (Consiglio Nazionale Architet Pianifcatori Paesaggist e Conservatori). Related URL.
- Manfredini, M., Bravo, L., Guaralda, M., Tieben, H., & Saltos Espinoza, L. A. (2017). Stand up for Public Space! A networking event at the Habitat III conference and a global online campaign. Journal of Public Space, 2 (1), 163-166. 10.5204/jps.v2i1.61
- Ta, A. D., & Manfredini, M. (2017). Thành phố sáng tạo và không gian công cộng [Creative cities and public spaces]. Vietnamese journal of urbanism, 28 (2017), 79-81. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Anh Dung Ta
- Manfredini, M. (2017). Macau. In U. Carughi, M. Visone (Eds.) Time frames: Conservation policies for twentieth century architectural heritage (pp. 156-158). Routledge.
- Manfredini, M. (2016). Stand up for public space!: Public space territorialisation: relational life transition in the post-consumerist city [Networking event]. Paper presented at Habitat III: United Nations Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development, Quito, Equador. 17 October - 20 October 2016. Related URL.
- O'Sullivan K, & Manfredini, M. (2016). Sub-standard housing and access to adequate housing. In D. Reeves, S. Knight Lenihan, S. Mannakkara (Eds.) A state of New Zealand report for UN Habitat III (pp. 85-88). Auckland, New Zealand: Urban Research Network, University of Auckland.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Dory Reeves, Sandeeka Mannakkara