Dr Sarosh Mulla
B.A.S. B.Arch (Hons)
Sarosh has a passion for unusual projects that require innovative solutions. His projects with the design collective OH.NO.SUMO, his doctoral research, his work in design studio PAC and his teaching all have focused on creating immersive architectural experiences that improve that improve the quality of life for occupants.
Research | Current
My research focuses on:
The expanded field of the architect
Alternative architectural procurement models
Collective/community design and build research
The relationship of landscape and architecture for tourism
Architectural model making and design technology
Teaching | Current
Architectural Design Technology
M. Arch (Prof) Thesis Supervision
2015 - Urbis Magazine Best Public Space Award - Longbush Ecosanctuary Welcome Shelter
2014 - Finalist Emerging Practitioner Award
2013 - AMP National Scholarship
2012 - NZIA National Awards - St. Thomas’ Chapel
2012 - Supreme Interior Award - St. Thomas’ Chapel
2012 - Civic and Cultural Interior Awards - St. Thomas’ Chapel
2012 - Designers Institute of New Zealand Gold Best Design Award Winner
2012 - Designers Institute of New Zealand Bronze Best Design Award Winner
2012 - University of Auckland Doctoral Scholarship
2011 - TOP 24 Archiprix MIT, World’s Best graduating Projects
2011 - NZIA Local Award, Heritage Category –St. Thomas’ Chapel
2011 - OISTAT Worldwide Theatre Architecture Competition - Third Prize Winner
2010 - Designers Institute of New Zealand Gold Best Design Award Winner
2010 - Designers Institute of New Zealand Silver Best Design Award Winner
2010 - Finalist in Archiprix MIT 2011 –World’s Best Graduating Projects
2010 - Best Collective - Urbis Magazine BestDesigners
2009 - AAA Cavalier Bremworth Design Award Winner
2008 - NZIA Graphisoft Student Design Award Winner
2008 - University of Auckland Senior Prize for Bachelor of Architecture
2007 - University of Auckland Senior Prize for Architectural Studies
Areas of expertise
Construction and Design Technology
Collective and community build projects
Member of the New Zealand Insititute of Architects
Member of the Design Research Society
Member of Design Collective OH.NO.SUMO
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Mulla, S. S. (2017). Perception & Projection: Augmenting the relationship between architecture & landscape in New Zealand tourism The University of Auckland. ResearchSpace@Auckland.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Barrie, Julia Gatley
- Mulla, S. Sarosh Mulla: The Ideal Home at the 5th Auckland Triennial [Lab project] Auckland Art Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand. 21/5/2016 Related URL.
- Mulla, S. S., & Paterson, A. S. (2016). GIB stand at DesignEx. New Zealand Winstone Wallboards Ltd. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Aaron Paterson
- Mulla, S. S. (2016). Architecture of newsrooms: the digital world, space and the management of news. In E. Johnson, G. Tiso, B. W. Bennett (Eds.) Don't dream it's over: reimagining journalism in Aotearoa New Zealand = He wawata mutunga kore: hei whakarauora te reo pūrongo ki Aotearoa. Christchurch, New Zealand: Freerange Press. Related URL.
- Mulla, S. S. (2015). Longbush Ecosanctuary Welcome Shelter. New Zealand Longbush Ecosanctuary Related URL.
- Mulla, S. S., & Salmond Reed Architects (2012). St. Thomas' Chapel in St Matthew-in-the-City Church. New Zealand Related URL.
- Loo, P., Mulla, S., Pearce, J., & O’Shaughnessy K (2012). Stairway Cinema. New Zealand St Paul St Gallery Related URL.
- OH.NO.SUMO, Pearce, J., Loo, P., O'Shaughnessy K, & Mulla, S. FAXSt. Paul Street Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand. 8/4/2011 - 29/4/2011 Related URL.