Associate Professor Linda Rose Tyler
Associate Professor Linda Tyler was appointed as the inaugural Director of the Centre for Art Studies at The University of Auckland in February 2006. In this role, she administers the Art Collection, manages programmes and exhibitions at the Gus Fisher Gallery, and also digital and on-site exhibitions under the auspices of the Window project. She teaches ARTHIST 734 Art Writing and Curatorial Practice, an Honours level paper in the Art History Department. In 2011, she was the Robert Lord Fellow at the University of Otago, researching the art and science of nineteenth century botanist and draughtsman to the Colonial Museum and Geological Survey, John Buchanan FLS (1819-1898). Her MA thesis at the University of Canterbury in Art History in 1986 was about the New Zealand architecture and planning of émigré architect Ernst Plischke (1903-1992).
Research | Current
Interrelationship between science and art in nineteenth century New Zealand.
Teaching | Current
- Curatorial studies
- Architectural history
- New Zealand art history
Francis McWhannell, Giving the indigenous subject agency in recent exhibitions of nineteenth century Australian photography.
Maria Constanza Labre Odde, The implications of the educational turn in curating exhibitions
Gemma Mansell, Peggy Guggenheim's fellow travellers: collecting American modernism in mid twentieth century Venice.
Associate Emerita of the Auckland War Memorial Museum
Associate of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
Chair of the Art Collection Committee for purchase of art works for the University of Auckland Art Collection.
Director of the Gus Fisher Gallery and curator of the University of Auckland Art Collection.
NICAI representative on the Board of Studies for General Education.
Areas of expertise
Art writing, art curation, the nineteenth century illustration of John Buchanan (1819-1898), the New Zealand architecture of Ernst Anton Plischke (1903-1992).
- Member of the International Committee on Museums (ICOM)
- New Zealand representative of the Art Association of Australia and New Zealand
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Tyler, L. (2016). Modern transport: AMETI Panmure Interchange. Architecture New Zealand, 2016 (1), 48-54. Related URL.
- Tyler, L. (2015). Show me the money. Art News New Zealand, 35 (2), 90-94. Related URL.
- Tyler, L. (2015). From small beginnings come beautiful things. Art News New Zealand, 34 (4), 90-94. Related URL.
- Amundsen, F. (2015). The Imperial Body. Pages: 31.
- Tyler, L. (2015). A growing concern: Planting art in gardens. Art News New Zealand, 35 (4), 96-99. Related URL.
- Tyler, L. R. (2014). The everyday existentialist. Art News New Zealand, 34 (1), 92-96. Related URL.
- Tyler, L. (2014). Review of the book Lateral Inversions: The Prints of Barry Cleavin by Melinda Johnston. Art New Zealand, issue 149, Autumn 2014 (149), 103-104.
- Tyler, L. R. (2014). Born Digital: Challenges in Collection New Art Forms. Paper presented at 23rd International Council on Museums Conference 2013, Rio de Janiero, Brazil. 10 August - 17 August 2013. Related URL.
Gus Fisher Gallery 099236646
Tuesdays 9am-12pm in Arts 2 (Building 207, Room 507)
HUMANITIES - Bldg 206
Level 7, Room 741
14A SYMONDS ST