Associate Professor Eve Kaye de Castro-Robinson
ATCL, BMus, MMus, DMus
Dr Eve de Castro-Robinson is one of New Zealand’s foremost composers, whose works are performed widely both here and internationally. She is twice winner of both the SOUNZ Contemporary Award, and the Philip Neill Memorial Prize. She has been commissioned and performed by many leading performers including all NZ orchestras, NZSQ, NZTrio, BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Nash Ensemble of London, the Dutch HEX, Alexander Ivashkin and Jane Manning. She has three solo CDs on the Atoll label and single works on many other recordings. In 2011 Atoll produced Releasing the Angel, five orchestral works recorded by the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, and in 2012 her Len Lye: the opera was staged at the Maidment Theatre for a sell-out season. She was selected for residencies at the Atlantic Centre for the Arts, Florida in February 2010 and at the Banff Centre in October 2012 and her large-scale commission for the NZSO The glittering hosts of heaven, was premiered in June 2013. Eve chairs the Composers' Advisory Panel of the Centre for New Zealand Music.
Research | Current
- host for mixed choir, for Karen Grylls' 30 Years Under the Grylls concert, June, 2015
- chat for solo piano, commissioned by US-based pianist Nicola Melville in memory of Judith Clark
- Cries of Auckland, commissioned by New Zealand String Quartet for NZSQ and Song Company (Australia)
- vocal work commissioned by US bass-baritone Nicolas Isherwood for The Electric Voice concerts
- Executive production of impending piano recording Ring True (Rattle Records)
Teaching | Current
Current supervision/co-supervision includes:
Jonathan Mandeno (DMus)
Jay Greenberg (DMus)
M. Louise Webster (DMus)
Richard Francis (DMus)
Oliver Xu (MMus)
Chris Hurn (BMusHons)
Grace Carpinter (BMusHons)
Eleanore Chen (BMusHons)
Recent graduates include:
Ashley Brown, DMA
Jeff Chen-Feng Lin, DMus in Composition
Alex Taylor, MMus in Composition
M.Louise Webster, MMus in Composition
Andrew McMillan, MMus in Composition
- Winner, SOUNZ Contemporary Award, 2007
- Finalist, SOUNZ Contemporary Award, 2006
- Winner, Composers Association of New Zealand Trust Fund Award, 2000.
- Winner, SOUNZ Contemporary Award, 1998
- Chosen as NZ entrant, International Rostrum of Composers, 1992.
- Selected, Composer in Residence, Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra, 1991
- First equal, Composition Prize Competition, The University of Auckland, 1988
- Winner, University of Otago Philip Neill Memorial Prize in Music, 1987, 1993
Head of Composition, Director of Karlheinz Company, Co-ordinator of Composition Workshops including visiting international and local composers and musicians
Areas of expertise
Composition, orchestration, NZ music
- Chair, Composers Advisory Panel, SOUNZ Centre for NZ Music
- Member, APRA, Australasian Performing Rights Association
- Member, CANZ, Composers Association of NZ
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- de Castro-Robinson, E.A zigzagged gaze: For solo piano. (2017). Henry Wong Doe: Pianist: Soloc recital: Music on Madison Series, 3pm Sunday March 5th.
- de Castro-Robinson, E., & Manhire, B. (2016). These arms to hold you [Musical score] (1st) Wellington, New Zealand: Promethean Editions Limited. 979-0-67452-234-2.
- de Castro-Robinson, E.Quiet at her window. (2015). Avanta Ensemble 2015/16 Concert Series.
- de Castro-Robinson, E.Doggerel [for bass flute]. (2015). Continental drift: Music for bass flutes and cellos.
- de Castro-Robinson, E., & Lilburn, D. G.No. 3 from Nine Short Pieces: Douglas Lilburn arranged by Eve de Castro-Robinson. (2015). Nine echoes.
- de Castro-Robinson, E.Host: For SATB choir, dedicated to Karen Grylls. (2015). 30 years under the Grylls.
- de Castro-Robinson, E. K.Cries of Auckland, for string quartet and six voices. (2014). Publication. Related URL.
- de Castro-Robinson, E.This liqid drift of light. (2014). Landscape preludes: Henry Wong Doe. Rattle Records.