Ms Fiona Jack
MFA (CalArts), BGD
Within my projects there are aspects of participation, consultation and/or collaboration with people and groups. Through observation, dialogue, collecting and digressive historical research I piece together a fabric of references that inform the development of each body of work. Within this aggregation of people, groups and ideas my projects reflect upon contemporary situations and the systems, ideologies and forms of resistance we use to shape and reshape them.
The Heraldry of Presence (2014) and The Will of the People (2016) engage the form of the banner and their long service as both emancipatory tools and as gathering devices for groups of people. Portworkers (2012), The Trees (2013) and other ongoing projects all pay attention to the tenacity and labour of those who have taken a stand in a public setting. Survivors' Roll of Honour presented the first ever comprehensive list of New Zealand's WWI survivors instead of the often-remembered fallen soldiers. In honouring those that survived these atrocities and went on to help shape Aotearoa, this work aims to decenter our preoccupation with war. The Living Halls project reflected upon New Zealand's decision to build war memorial social halls instead of monuments after WW2, and in the work Palisade I collaborated with Ngarimu Blair and Ngati Whatua o Orakei to reconsider the history of Okahu Bay through the reconstruction of a historic Palisade fence.
I choose to devote as much of my research time to developing relationships within the communities in which I work, as I do to making and researching in a traditional sense. I seek to be an artist, citizen and cultural worker. The development of a small piece for my local community art space is as pivotal to my research methodology and development as a major project for an international gallery. The activation of networks and relationships is at the core of my practice, and in working with others new narratives are formed.
Research | Current
- 2018 Our Red Aunt - The Glasgow Women's Library, Glasgow
- 2017 Using Our Hands to Organise - The Showroom, London
- 2016 The Will of the People - Commonwealth & Council, Los Angeles, curated by Michael Ned Holte.
- 2015 Otakaro Plant Parade - SCAPE Public Art Biennale, Christchurch, curated by Rob Garret.
- 2015 Survivors' Roll of Honour - Commission from the Australian War Memorial for the ANZAC commemorative print portfolio.
- 2014 The Heraldry of Presence - Fiona Jack with contributors, collaborators and lenders. Fresh Gallery, Otara, Auckland, New Zealand, 2014.
Teaching | Current
MFA - supervision of MFA and PgDip candidates
BFA Year two studio paper - 208/212- Publics, Posters Dialogues
Academic Leader, Elam School of Fine Arts
Areas of expertise
- Sociopolitical art practices
- Community and collaborative art
- Art in public spaces
- Conceptual art, photography, installation, public art, design
- Books and artist publications
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Jack, F., Melser, S., & Hoey, D. (2017). Fuck the sensible: Aesthetics and politics. Strange Haven, Auckland, New Zealand. 9 August 2017.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Sam Melser
- Jack, F. Anzac Centenary print portfolioRoyal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium, Brussels, Belgium. 25/7/2017 - 15/8/2017 Related URL.
- Jack, F. (2017). Using our hands to organise. The Showroom Gallery, London, UK. Related URL.
- Jack, F. Vanished Delft: Handmade material culture at The Pah HomesteadThe Pah Homestead TSB Bank Wallace Arts Centre, Auckland. 14/3/2017 - 14/5/2017
- Jack, F. (10/3/2017). ESRA banner [Applique, fabric dye, fabric paint, cording and embroidery on recycled cotton]. Related URL.
- Jack, F., Van Zon, E., Orjis, R., Munro, V., Arps, D., O'Neill A, ... Fitts, E. A stitch in timeGroup exhibition. Melanie Roger Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand. 23/11/2016 - 17/12/2016 Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Yolunda Hickman
- Jack, F., Sandrasegar, S., Cotton, S., Spong, S., Parr, M., Reynolds, J., ... Graham, B. Anzac Centenary print portfolioMuseum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa. 16/9/2016 - 26/2/2017 Related URL.
- Jack, F. The will of the people is law [Various mediums] And Per Se And - exhibition of three solo projects. Commonwealth & Council Gallery , Los Angeles, USA. 23/4/2016 - 28/5/2016 Related URL.