Mr Jim Speers
Jim Speers is an artist who in recent years has worked in a range of media including sculptural installation, printmaking and digital video. This has involved production and exhibition in New Zealand and Europe. Speers’ artwork is included in New Zealand’s significant public collections and has been placed in exhibitions by curators of high standing. He has worked extensively with prestigious galleries and has an established record as an artist undertaking commissions. He is presently engaged in research that aims to track and account for changes in the concept of the "readymade", as it has been explored through sculpture. As an educator he is committed to developing collaborative processes in teaching scenarios that allow students to define their work through dialogue and an exposure to the practice of others.
Research | Current
- New media
- Art education theory and practice
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Field Recordings, Guo, Z., Li, X., Rapana Neill, T., Speers, J., & Watkins, C. (16/12/2017). Xiao Pudong: Field Recordings [Single channel digital film], Cosmopolis #1 : Collective intelligence: Global collective, Centre Pompidou, Paris, France.
- Speers, J. (16/10/2017). Baoshan District [Single channel digital video, 12 minutes], 2017 Shanghai Urban Space Art Season: Social Picture: Imageology from within thec City, Minsheng Port, Shanghai, China.
- Li, X., Speers, J., Watkins, C., Guo, Z., & Neill, T. (28/5/2016). Let the water flow [Video], Tell me a story: Locality and narrative, Rockbund Art Museum, Shanghai, China.
- Speers, J. Hold 'til Wednesday [Gouache on paper] Starkwhite Gallery. 13/12/2015 - 13/2/2016
- Speers, J. (10/11/2012). Night Barges [Three channel projected video], Long Days: Jim Speers Solo Exhibition, Fei Centre for Contemporary Art, 709 Lingshi Road, Building No. 40-2F, Shanghai, China. Related URL.
- Speers, J., & Li, X. Long days - Jim Speers solo exhibition [Music is music series] [Single channel, HD Videos] FEI Contemporary Art Centre, Shanghai, China. 22/10/2012
- Dawe, B., Graham, B., Maseyk, P., Darragh, J., Esling, S., Speers, J., ... Clemens, E. Collected Fictions, A group exhibitionWaikato Museum, Hamilton, New Zealand. 17/10/2012 - 25/1/2013 Related URL.
- Speers, J. Hotel YugoslaviaSalon of the Museum of Contemporary Art, (MOCA) Belgrade, Serbia. 30/3/2012 - 6/5/2012 Related URL.