Associate Professor Megan Lillian Jenkinson
Megan Jenkinson works primarily with the medium of photography. She has actively exhibited her work over a 30-year period, both nationally and internationally, at major art events such as the Esslingen Photo Triennale, 1989, the Sydney Biennale, 1990, and the Sharjah Biennale in 1999, and in significant exhibitions such as Photography Now, 1989 at the Victoria and Albert Museum (to commemorate the first 150 years of Photography). Jenkinson’s most significant projects to date have been The Virtues, 1996, and the “Antarctica” project. The Virtues went to eight public venues in New Zealand and is accompanied by the book Under The Aegis: The Virtues, 1997. This series was awarded a major prize in 1999 at the Sharjah Biennale. More recently the “Antarctica” project, inspired by her visit to Antarctica in 2005, has been exhibited nationally and in Sydney in several one-person exhibitions in 2007-2009. Jenkinson’s work is held in 18 national and 8 international collections.
Research | Current
- Photographic research draws on Goethe's Theory of Colours, resulting in works that deal with notions of vision and perception. Her use of lenticular printing introduces aspects of transience and change
- For her current project Northern African desert landscapes will form a backdrop to a series of meditations on civilization
Teaching | Current
- Digital photography
- Contemporary photographic practice
- Colour theory
- Theories of vision and perception
- Antarctica and the Age of Exploration
- Antarctica - contemporary art
- Jury Prize, Wallace Art Awards, 2007
- Antarctica Artist's Fellowship, 2005
- Graphics Prize, Sharjah International Art Biennal, United Arab Emirates, 1999
- Moet and Chandon Residency, France, 1993
- The Montana Lindauer Art Award, 1989
- Queen Elizabeth II Arts Council Travel Award, 1984
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Jenkinson, M. L. The coincident present [Solo exhibition; Ultrachrome inkjet prints on Hanemuhle Photorag paper] Two Rooms Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand. 2/12/2016 - 22/12/2016 Related URL.
- Jenkinson, M. L. (10/12/2015). Atmospheric Optics XII [Digital inkjet print on Hanhemuhle paper], Elusive Earth: Refined Images of Antarctica, Pah Homestead, TSB Bank Wallace Arts Centre, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Jenkinson, M. L. Other Space [Digital photographic montages on PhotoTex] Jonathan Smart Gallery, Christchurch, New Zealand. 6/11/2015 - 28/12/2015 Related URL.
- Jenkinson, M. L. Transfigurations [Digital concertina prints; lenticular prints] Stills Gallery, Sydney, Australia. 20/8/2014 - 20/9/2014
- Jenkinson, M. L., & Browne, M. L. Double vision [Digital prints] Bartley and Company, Wellington. 16/7/2014 - 9/8/2014
- Jenkinson, M. L. phyto-plasts [digital photographic images] Two Rooms Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand. 14/3/2014 - 26/4/2014
- Jenkinson, M. L. Installation [7 Digital ultrachrome prints on Hahnemuhle paper] Sur Polar IV - Arte en Antartida : Fotografia, pintura, instalacion, objecto, video y dibujo. Museo de Arte de Tigre, Tigre, Buenos Aires, Argentina. 8/9/2012 - 7/10/2012 Related URL.
- Jenkinson, M. L. ...a tent, pitched in the wilderness [14 digital Ultrachrome prints on Hahnemuhle paper and 1 digital lenticular print.] Stills Gallery, Sydney. 12/10/2011 - 12/11/2011