Dr Simon Alexander Ingram
DocFA, MA, PGDip, Trans Cert, BFA
Research | Current
Simon Ingram's work exists in the situations and painted outcomes of a collaboration between the artist, an apparatus, and our life world.
His new research extends the emergent procedural logic of his earlier work with artificial life into artificial intelligence to develop a collaborative robot. This work is being done in the context of the Creative Thinking Project with Mark Sagar and his BabyX AI framework, and, in a separate project involving vision with computer science.
Past work includes the Radio Paintings which materialise unseen forces from the ground, the atmosphere, space, which are collected via the antennae he constructs and connects to his machines. The Geometries see him engaging in the studio with his machines' identity as a fellow artist. Bugs, faults and painterly tendencies brought about by the electronic-mechanic materialisation of standard forms (circle, square, triangle) and regular all-over compositions (the grid, the scribble) are negotiated in a series of creative acts. The Random Walks walks employ an artificial life inspired algorithm used elsewhere to model the path of a foraging animal, the behaviour of gas or fluctuation of stocks, to make paintings which model a sense of the plan emerging from the unplanned and vice versa.
Teaching | Current
Year 2 painting
Supervision of MFA and doctoral candidates
- Best doctoral thesis award for the doctoral project entitled "Painting as a Machine." The University of Auckland, 2007
Programme leader MFA second year
Areas of expertise
- Experimental painting
- Early computer art
- Self-organising systems
- Radio devices
- Data visualisation
- Artificial intelligence
- Studies of the brain
Post-graduate committee (Elam)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Ingram, S. A. Random Walk GeometriesHebel 121, Basel, Switzerland. 13/6/2015 - 8/8/2015 Related URL.
- Ingram, S. A. Paintings of the SunGow Langsford Gallery, Auckland, NZ. 29/4/2015 - 23/5/2015
- Barton, C. (Ed.) (2014). Simon Ingram: Painting Machines 2005-2014. Kerber Verlag. Pages: 152. Related URL.
- Ingram, S. A. Radio Painting Station [Galvinised steel sheet, cable, radio receiver, computer, solar panels, 6 volt batteries, robotic painting machine, 30 canvases] Kingsland, Auckland. 15/1/2014 - 31/12/2014 Related URL.
- Ingram, S. A. Studio Situation in the group exhibition entitled As Many Structures As I Can [Oil on plastic sheet, pine, masking tape, gaffer tape], The Dowse Art Museum, Lower Hutt, New Zealand. Related URL.
- Ingram, S. A. Interview with a Painting [Acrylic on linen] 26 Lorne Street, Auckland, New Zealand. 10/7/2013 - 28/7/2013 Related URL.
- Ingram, S. A. Smoking BoltsArtspace, Sydney. 2/5/2013 - 16/6/2013 Related URL.
- Ingram, S. A. Energy Transference (a commissioned work for the exhibition CONTACT. ARTISTS FROM AOTEAROA/NEW ZEALAND curated by Dr Leonhard Emmerling) [Wood, plastic, oil paint, differing tapes] Frankfurter Kunstverein, Frankfurt, Germany. 5/10/2012 - 25/11/2012 Related URL.