Miss Tara Michelle Winters
Tara has a background in graphic design and has worked as a freelance designer for many years in the areas of print and interactive media. Her main research interests include the study of the more fluid and dynamic forms of representation offered by digital technologies, and an active engagement with art and design pedagogy. Her work takes a critical gaze over the various forms of teaching and learning practices occurring in contemporary art and design education. Recent work includes the development of a structure for facilitating meta-learning in art and design education, and a system for helping international students in the creative arts with orienting to a new academic context.
Publications include work in education research journal The International Journal of Art and Design Education (Wiley-Blackwell), the online journal of the Australian Graphic Design Association Visual:Design:Scholarship (produced by the Australasian organisation for professional graphic designers), and a book chapter in Design:Pedagogy:Research (UK: Jeremy Mills Publishing Ltd, 2008).
Tara has been Undergraduate Student advisor at Elam since 2007, and is also involved in the ‘Let’s Talk Art’ initiative at the school which aims to assist undergraduate EAL (English as a second language) students to engage more fully and critically with fine arts discourse within an informal, supportive, critique-based environment.
Research | Current
- Visual communication design
- Interactive media design
- Art education theory and practice
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Winters, T. M. (2016). A developing research-oriented pedagogy for undergraduate teaching in art and design. International Journal of Education through Art, 12 (3), 257-270. 10.1386/eta.12.3.257_1
- Winters, T. (2016). Art and designs’ developing contribution to the frontiers of contemporary research theory and practice. ACUADS Conference 2015: Art and design education in the global 24/7 University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia: The Australian Council of University Art and Design Schools. Related URL.
- Winters, T. (2015). Facilitating early research experience in art and design using a research-oriented approach to teaching and learning. Paper presented at Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) 2015, Western Australia, Australia. 29 November - 3 December 2015. AARE Conference Papers 2015. Related URL.
- Winters, T. M. (2014). “I won’t do anything until I create a Masterpiece”: The role of uncertainty, instability and failure in art-making and learning.. Paper presented at AARE-NZARE 2014: Speaking back through research, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia. 30 November - 4 December 2014.
- Winters, T. M. (2014). The affective intensity of images: Images as a catalyst for transformative learning. The International Journal of the Image, 4 (3), 1-11. Related URL.
- Winters, T. (2013). Strengthening critical thinking in design using meta-learning activity in studio education. In C. Brisbin, M. Thiessen (Eds.) Critique 2013. 2013 Conference Proceedings, 307-316. Adelaide, South Australia: University of South Australia. Related URL.
- Winters, T. M. (2013). The practitioner-researcher contribution to a developing criticism for graphic design. Iridescent: Icograda Journal of Design Research, 2 (2) Related URL.
- Winters, T. M. (2013). The affective intensity of images: Transformative learning through image-making. Paper presented at 4th International Conference on The Image: The Everyday Image: Reproduction and Participation, University Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA. 18 October - 19 October 2013. Related URL.