Associate Professor Allan Donald Jeffryes Badley
Dr Allan Badley is a specialist in late eighteenth-century Viennese music. His publications include several hundred scholarly editions of works by major contemporaries of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven, including editions of the complete works for piano and orchestra by Ferdinand Ries, mass settings by Wanhal, Hofmann and Hummel, and an extensive series of symphonies and concertos. He has published articles on Leopold Hofmann, Ignaz Pleyel, and Haydn, and more recently, contributed analytical essays on the symphonies of Wagenseil and Pleyel for The Symphonic Repertoire – The Eighteenth-Century Symphony edited by Barthia Churgin and Mary Sue Morrow (Indiana University Press, 2012). He is co-founder of the Hong Kong-based publishing house Artaria Editions, which is widely regarded as one of the leading specialist publishers of 18th-century music. Allan Badley is a University of Auckland Distinguished Alumni Award winner (2003) and in 2007 he was awarded the Goldene-Pleyel-Medaille of the Internationale Ignaz Joseph Pleyel Gesellschaft (Austria). In 2013 he was appointed Musicological Leader of the Pleyel Gesamtausgabe.
Research | Current
- Music - 18th & early 19th centuries
- Music editing
- 18th century symphony & concerto
- Leopold Hofmann
- Ignaz Pleyel
- Johann Baptist Wanhal
Current Doctoral Supervisions:
Lisa Chung: The Evolution of Thumb Position in Cello Playing
Elizabeth Nicholl: Early New Zealand Printed Music (1850-1907)
Marie-Claire Taylor: The Viennese Requiem Mass (1740-1820)
- University of Auckland Distinguished Alumunus Award, 2003
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- BADLEY, A. L. L. A. N. (2017). 5. INTERNATIONALES IGNAZ-JOSEPH-PLEYEL-SYMPOSIUM IGNAZ-PLEYEL-MUSEUM, RUPPERSTHAL, 17–18 JUNE 2016. Eighteenth Century Music, 14 (01), 166-168. 10.1017/S1478570616000555
- Badley, A. D. (2016). Mozart in Prague [Book review]. Fontes Artis Musicae, 63 (3), 334-334.
- Badley, A. D. (2016). François Devienne. Flute Concerto No.12 in A Major Wellington: Artaria Editions. i-75. ISMN 979-0-67451-293-0. Related URL.
- Badley, A. D. (2015). The Scoring of Early Classical Concertos, 1750-1780, by Richard Maunder. Woodbridge, Suffolk, The Boydell Press, 2014 [Book review]. Fontes Artis Musicae, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 48-50, 62 (1), 48-50.
- Badley, A. D. (2014). Chronological Signifiers in the Concertos of Johann Baptist Wanhal. Radovi Zavoda za znanstveni rad, Varaždin, 25, 169-198. Related URL.
- Badley, A. D. (2014). Ferdinand Ries. Introduction et Rondeau brillant, Op.144 Wellington, New Zealand: Artaria Editions. i-120. ISMN M-67451-278-7. Related URL.
- Badley, A. D., & Gallois, P. (2014). Booklet notes for the CD: François Devienne: Flute Concertos 1-4. Swedish Chamber Orchestra. Patrick Gallois, flute& conductor. CD text in English, French & GermanHong Kong & European Union. Related URL.
- Badley, A. D. (2014). Booklet notes for CD: Franz Ignaz Beck: Symphonies Op.4 Nos 4-6, Op,.3 No.5. Czech Chamber Philharmonic Orchestra Pardubice. M. Stilec. CD Text in English, French & GermanHong Kong & European Union. Related URL.