Dr David Keith Lines
PhD, MEd, DigTchg, BMus
Research | Current
- Philosophy of music education
- Early childhood music and arts education
- Improvisation and improvisation pedagogy
- Open and digital pedagogies
- Studio pedagogy research
- Critical studies in the arts
- Curriculum development in music
- Jazz education
2004 An Exploration of the Effectiveness of Six Singing and Song-learning Methods in the Junior Classroom. BMusHons dissertation, Pui See Poon.
2005 Teaching and Artistry. MEd thesis, Linda Locke.
2006 From Instrumentalist to Whole Person: an investigation of the aims and applications of four music education methods. MMus thesis, Meichang Lin.
2006 Adult Beginner Piano Learners: needs and strategies for teachers and learners. MMus thesis, Florin Ching.
2006 Making Both Ends Meet: a critical perspective on becoming an artist in the new cultural economy. MEd thesis, Megan Williams.
2007 Ballad of the Never Picked: a qualitative study of self-perceived musicians’ perceptions of their musical ability. MMusEd thesis, Eve Ruddock (UWA).
2009 The Jazz Canon within New Zealand’s Tertiary Education System: perceptions and experiences. MMus thesis, Karen Roberts (associate supervisor).
2010 Teaching Dance from Contextual Perspectives in the New Zealand Curriculum. PhD thesis, Linda Ashley.
2010 Documentation and composition notes of a jazz trio recording project, MMus(perf) essay component, Mark Baynes.
2011 Shadows of Sound: music, pedagogy and writing the inaudible. PhD thesis, Kirsten Locke.
2011 Creative Theatre: explorations of childrens’ collaborative practice in musical creation. BMusHons dissertation, Chris Moore.
2011 Perceptions and Needs of Low Vision and Blind Students in the Performing Arts. BMusHons dissertation, Wendy Richards.
2011 Developing Advanced Hybrid Styles for Contemporary Guitar. MMus essay component, Neil Watson.
2011 (in progress)The Personalisation of Jazz Bass Technique. DMA exegesis, Olivier Holland.
2011 (in progress) The Pianist Styles of Brad Meldau. DMA exegesis, Mark Baynes.
2011 How Do Primary School Choir Trainers Support the Participation of Boys in a Choral Festival? MEd thesis (ProfStud), Tim Carson
2012 New Zealand Primary Music Education: a promise broken:a comparison of the de jure and de facto philosophies of music education utilized in New Zealand primary, intermediate and middle school music education. PhD thesis, Doug Nyce.
2013 Both Sides of the Curtain: The Auckland Music Theatre Inc 1919-2009. PhD thesis, Julie Jackson-Tretchikoff.
2013 (submitted) Focal Dystonia in Pianists. PhD thesis, Rae de Lisle.
2013 (in progress) Messiaen and Jazz Music. DMA exegesis, Kevin Field.
2013 (in progress) Linear Jazz Improvisation, DMA exegesis, Roger Manins
2013 (in progress) Technological Applications for Vocal Training, MMus thesis, Kathleen Woodley.
2013 (in progress) An ethnographic study of strategies and processes used to foster expressiveness in piano playing in young children, MMus thesis, Melody Deng.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Lines, D. K. (2017). "While My Guitar Gently Weeps": Music education and guitar as leisure. In R. Mantie, G. D. Smith (Eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Music Making and Leisure (pp. 115-130). New York: Oxford University Press. 10.1093/oxfordhb/9780190244705.013.22
- Ashley, L., & Lines, D. K. (2016). Introduction. In L. Ashley, D. Lines (Eds.) Intersecting cultures in music and dance education: An oceanic perspective (pp. 1-16). Switzerland: Springer. 10.1007/978-3-319-28989-2_1
- Lines, D. K. (2016). The ocean swim: Rethinking community in an early childhood education performing arts research initiative. In L. Ashley, D. Lines (Eds.) Intersecting cultures in music and dance education: An oceanic perspective (pp. 299-308). Switzerland: Springer. 10.1007/978-3-319-28989-2_17
- Ashley, L., & Lines, D. (Eds.) (2016). Intersecting Cultures in Music and Dance Education: an oceanic perspective. Switzerland: Springer International. Pages: 308. 10.1007/9783319289892
- Roder, J., & Lines, D. K. (2015). Learning space and lack in the university: Reimagining a space of possibilities through pedagogies of affect and desire. Paper presented at Philosophy of Education Australasia (PESA) Annual Conference, Melbourne, Australia. 5 December - 8 December 2015. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: John Roder
- Lines, D. K., Mason Battley, C., Giles, S., Thomas, S., & Psathas, J.Calenture Suite Parts I-IV and Reprise. (2015). Rattle Jazz. Related URL.
- Lines, D. K., Mason Battley, C., Giles, S., Thomas, S., & Psathas, J.Minos: Dialogos. (2015). Rattle Jazz. Related URL.
- Lines, D. K., Mason Battley, C., Giles, S., Thomas, S., & Psathas, J.Drum Dances 4: Dialogos. (2015). Rattle Jazz. Related URL.