Ms Elizabeth Anne Holowell
Elizabeth Holowell is an eminent teacher of violin and viola, chamber music and string orchestra, with extensive experience at universities and music colleges in Australasia and Britain. Her graduates are found in many major international orchestras. She was herself a student of Robert Pikler who was, in turn, taught by Hubay and by Thibaud. Elizabeth was a core member of the Australian Chamber Orchestra and has played in the Australian Opera and Ballet Orchestra, the William Hennessy String Quartet, and the Newcastle University Piano Trio. In recent years she has given recitals across Britain, USA and Australasia, bringing new Australiasian works into the repertory. Elizabeth has particular expertise in teaching to avoid and to address injury, and is a trained teacher of the Alexander Technique. Elizabeth was granted an Order of Australia Medal for services to music.
Research | Current
- Violin performance
- Advanced pedagogy and pedagogical repertoire for violin and viola
- Alexander Technique as applies to musicians
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Holowell, E. John Elmsly: Here [World premier], 3/9/2017. [Concert], The Karlheinz Company, Music Theatre, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
- Holowell, E. (2015). An assessment of the fixed shoulder-rest, nearly 50 years on from the first Willy Wolf prototype. Paper presented at Australian Violin Pedagogy Conference, Launceston, Australia. 5 June - 7 June 2015.
- Holowell, E., & Portolese, M. Concert Series featuring Elizabeth Holowell, 10/4/2015. [Chamber music], , Crescendo Academy of Music Concert Hall, Kalamazoo, USA. Commissioning body: Crescendo Academy of Music
- Holowell, E., & Portolese, M. Elizabeth Holowell, violin and Mark Portolese, piano, 8/4/2015. [Recital], Guest artist series, Performing Arts Centre, Grand Valley State University, Michigan, USA. Commissioning body: Grand Valley State University, Michigan, USA
- Holowell, E. A., & Sky-Lucas, D. O. Willow Song: 20th Century Romantics, Lilburn & Vaughan Williams & Copland, 1/1/2015. [CD], (71 min.), Celebrating 100 years of Douglas Lilburn 1915-2015.
- Holowell, E., Thurlow, S., & Salzmann, E. Chmaber music concert series, 12/1/2014. [Recital], The International Akaroa Music Festival, 10th to 26th January, 2014, Akaroa Area School Auditorium, New Zealand. Commissioning body: The Pettman National Junior Academy of Music
- Holowell, E., Kim, S., Thurlow, S., Gibson Cornish, B., & Salzmann, E. Chamber music concert series, 10/1/2014. [Chamber music performance], International Akaroa Music Festival, 10th to 26th January, 2014, Akaroa Area School Auditorium, New Zealand. Commissioning body: The Pettman National Junior Academy of Music