Associate Professor Karen Lesley Grylls
PhD, MMUs(Hons), BA, MM, DipTchg
Karen Grylls, ONZM, is Undergraduate Advisor and Associate Professor in Conducting and Head of Choral Studies at the University of Auckland. She has directed the Auckland Dorian Choir (1985-1998), assumed the position of Musical Director of TOWER NZ Youth Choir in 1989 and founded TOWER Voices NZ in March 1998. In addition to being the current Musical Director of both of these national choirs Karen also conducts the Chamber Choir at the University of Auckland and directs courses in choral ensemble skills.
Karen is much in demand as a choral clinician and has many CD recordings to her credit. Invitations to adjudicate have taken her to Australia, Singapore, Tolosa, Hong Kong, Gorizia, Xiamen and Marktoberdorf. In 1996 the University honoured her with a Distinguished Teaching Award in Music and in 1999 she received a New Year’s Honour (ONZM) for her services to choral music. Karen has recently been appointed to the board of the International Federation for Choral Music IFCM. In May 2005 she was awarded an Artistic Leadership Scholarship Award from Creative NZ to attend the Seventh World Choral Symposium in Kyoto. In 2006 she was awarded the KBB Citation for Services to NZ music from the Composers’ Association of NZ and the Lilburn Trust Award for services to NZ Music. Also in 2006, “Spirit of the Land”, recorded by TOWER Voices NZ, won the NZ Tui Award for the best classical album. She also held an appointment as Artistic Director of the Exultate Chamber Singers in Toronto, 2011-2013.
Research | Current
- Choral conducting and pedagogy
- Music theory
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Grylls, K. L., Te Kanawa, K., & Wiremu, R. A New Day, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa and Voices NZ Chamber Choir, 13/3/2016. [Recital], (2 hours), A concert recital "A New Day", Michael Fowler Centre, Wellington, New Zealand. Commissioning body: New Zealand Festival Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Robert Wiremu
- Grylls, K. L. "Celestial Spheres", with Voices NZ Women's Choir and Helen Webby, Harp, 4/11/2015. [Live Performance], (90 minutes), Recital, St. Michael and All Angels, 84 Oxford Terrace, Christchurch. Commissioning body: Christopher Marshall (Christopher's Classics), Choirs Aotearoa NZ Related URL.
- Grylls, K. L., Wiremu, R., & Atchison, M. 30 Years under the Grylls, 7/6/2015. [Live performance], (2 hours), 30 Years Under the Grylls: a concert and celebration., St.-Mary's-in-Holy-Trinity, Parnell, Auckland. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Robert Wiremu, Morag Atchison
- Grylls, K. L., & Stier, E. Conductor and Chorus Master,Tippett "Child of our Time", 21/3/2015. [Live performance], (2 hours), Sir Michael Tippett, "A Child of our Time", Town Hall, Auckland, New Zealand. Commissioning body: Auckland Arts Festival Related URL.
- Grylls, K. L. Requiem for the Fallen by Ross Harris and Vincent O'Sullivan, 13/3/2015. [Live performance], (65 minutes), Auckland Arts Festival 2015, Auckland Town Hall, Auckland, New Zealand. Commissioning body: Auckland Arts Festival Related URL.
- Grylls, K. L. "Magnificat" with Polyphonic Voices (Melbourne) and Voices NZ Chamber Choir, 15/11/2014. [Recital], (2 hrs), Recital, Melbourne, Australia. Commissioning body: Choirs Aotearoa NZ Related URL.
- Grylls, K. L. Marae TV1, Tuirina Wehi "Aio" a Documentary on young Maori Composers with the University of Auckland Chamber Choir, 26/8/2014. [Performance], (10 minute TV presentation), TVNZ 1 Recording and Performance for December broadcast, Auckland. Related URL.
- Grylls, K. L. Bach St. John Passion BWV245, APO, The University of Auckland Chamber Choir, Conductor Stephen Layton, Chorusmaster Karen Grylls, 14/8/2014. [Concert], (2.5 hrs), Public Concert, New Zealand. Related URL.