Dr Nancy Rachel November
MA PhD, BSc MMus, BMus (Hons)
Nancy November is a Senior Lecturer in musicology. Her research and teaching interests centre on the music of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries: aesthetics, analysis, and performance history and practices. In 2006-07 she was Edison Fellow at the British Library, where she investigated the performance history of Haydn’s and Beethoven’s string quartets. Recent publications include essays on the early performance of Beethoven’s string quartets, and their performance history in the recording age. She has also published aesthetic and analytical studies of Haydn’s music, considering contexts of musical melancholy (Eighteenth-Century Music, 2007), the use of register in his string quartets (Music Analysis, 2008), and conceptions of ‘voice’ in his early string quartets (Music and Letters, 2008). An edition of Adalbert Gyrowetz’s String Quartets Op. 29 is forthcoming from Steglein Publishing, and an edition of Paul Wranitzky’s Six Sextets was published in 2012 (A-R Editions). Recent awards include an Alexander Humboldt von Fellowship, a Marsden grant from the New Zealand Royal Society, and a Research Fellowship from the Gerda-Henkel Foundation. She is currently completing critical reports on the middle-period string quartets for Beethoven Werke, and editing a three-volume set of fifteen string quartets by Beethoven’s contemporary Emmanuel Aloys Förster.
Research | Current
- Music and melancholy c1800
- Beethoven's middle-period string quartets
- Ideologies of performance (especially of chamber music) in the 19th-21st centuries
- Critical editions of string quartets by contemporaries of Haydn and Beethoven, including works by Paul Wranitzky and Emanuel Aloys Förster.
- Engaging students in large-lecture teaching, and evaluating music's 'signature pedagogies'
Teaching | Current
- Music and aesthetics ca. 1800
- Historical performance practices
- Music in art
- Large lecture theatre teaching and experiential learning
- Marsden Fast-Start Grant, NZ Royal Society, 2010-12
- Humboldt Fellowship for Experienced Researchers, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, 2010-12
- NICAI Early Career Teaching Excellence Award, The University of Auckland, 2009
- Edison Fellowship, The British Library Sound Archive, 2006-7
- Claude McCarthy Fellowship, New Zealand Vice Chancellors’ Award Committee, 2005
2013: Editorial Board, Journal of Music History Pedagogy
2012: Conference Convener, New Zealand Musicological Society Annual Meeting, ‘Voyages of Discovery’, The University of Auckland School of Music, 30 Nov.-2 Dec., 2012.
2012: Editorial Board, Haydn, online journal of the Haydn Society of North America.
2009-10: Selected participant in The University of Auckland’s Future Research Leaders Programme.
2009-10: Member, Board of Directors, Society for Eighteenth-Century Music (SECM).
2009: Director at Large, Haydn Society of North America.
2008: Participant in The University of Auckland’s Women in Leadership Programme
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- November, N. (2017). Mozart's Music of Friends: Social Interplay in the Chamber Works. MUSIC & LETTERS, 98 (2), 296-298. 10.1093/ml/gcx039
- November, N. (2017). Music in Vienna, 1700, 1800, 1900. NOTES, 73 (3), 526-529.
- November, N. (2017). The string quartet in early nineteenth-century performance and criticism. In T. Cascudo (Ed.) Nineteenth-century music criticism (pp. 255-267). Turnhout, Belgium: Brepols Publishers.
- November, N. R. (2016). From Private to Public to Private? On the Aesthetics and Reception of Beethoven’s String Quartet in F minor, Op. 95. In C. Speck (Ed.) The String Quartet: From the Private to the Public Sphere (pp. 112-140). Brepolis. Related URL.
- November, N. R. (2015). Beautiful Haydn. HAYDN: The Online Journal of the Haydn Society of North America, 5 (2) Related URL.
- November, N. (2015). Using Social Media to Enhance Critical Thinking: Crossing Socio-Educational Divides. The Palgrave Handbook of Critical Thinking in Higher Education (pp. 509-523). 10.1007/978-1-137-37805-7_30
- November, N. R. (2015). Teaching Histories Critically: Developing Pedagogies for Historical Literacy Across the Disciplines. In E. de la Poza, J. Domeech, J. Llort, M. C. Vincent-Vela, E. Z. Agusti (Eds.) Proceedings of the First International Conference on Higher Education Advances (HEAd’15), 458-465. Valencia, Spain. 10.4995/HEAd15.2015.245
- November, N. R. (2014). Sensibility and philosophy in Haydn's songs. Haydn Society Journal, 33, 20-28.