Dr Olivier Holland
Since starting his career as bassist in 1989, Olivier Holland has performed at major festivals and venues with some of the finest jazz artists in New Zealand and Europe, notably Joscho Stephan, Danny Weiss, Djamel Laroussi, Nathan Haines, Whirimako Black, Stefon Harris and Florian Ross. He has contributed to albums by Joscho Stephan, " Swing News"; Carolina Moon, "East of the Sun"; State Philharmonic Orchestra of Krakau and Big-Band Hamm, "Classic meets Jazz"; "Julie Mason and the Jazz Divas"; Zauberberg III, "Zauberberg III"; and Whirimako Black’s "Sings”. A collaborative album with Ron Samsom and Kevin Field entitled “Irony” was released in 2009. His debut solo album “Duets” was released here in 2011, and the album “Gypsy meets Jazz”, recorded in Germany with German guitar maestro Joscho Stephan, was released in March 2011 on the German label Acoustic Music Records. Olivier teaches Jazz Studies, including theory, composition, arrangement, postgraduate supervision, double bass and electric bass.
Research | Current
- Polyrhythm in Jazz
- Technical innovations for double bass and electric bass
- Live performance or recording with progressive Jazz material
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Holland, O. S. (2011). Duets: Olivier Holland [Compact Disc] New Zealand: Ode records, CDMANU5102.
- Holland, O. S., & Stephan, J. (2011). Gypsy meets Jazz: Stephan Joscho, Olivier Holland [Compact disc] Germany: Acoustic Music Records (Germany) EX 16414. EX 16414.
- Holland, O. S., & Manins, R. (2010). Latitude Australia: Rufus Records, RF096.
- Samsom, R. B., Field, K. D., & Holland, O. S. Irony: FSH Trio [Compact disc], 1/1/2009. [Compact Disc], Kevin Field Ron Samsom Olivier Holland, recorded October 25,26, and December 4 2008 at the Kenneth Myers Centre NZ. Commissioning body: Rattle records
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ron Samsom