Ron Samsom began lecturing at The University of Auckland in 2003 and has coordinated the Jazz Studies programme since 2006. His current teaching portfolio includes: jazz history, honours composition, percussion ensemble, small ensembles, drum set instruction and postgraduate supervision. Ron is an active performer, composer and researcher in the area of improvised music and his work features on many local and international recordings. Prior to moving to New Zealand, Ron’s career began in Canada after completing a Diploma in Music at Grant MacEwan College, a BMus from St Francis Xavier and a MMus from McGill University. Today, Ron is highly regarded in musical communities here and abroad. With many ongoing collaborations and projects such as the “Samsom Nacey Haines Trio” and the “FSH Trio”, Ron has established a strong publishing relationship with Rattle records and shares a similar goal of producing a rich tapestry of improvised music featuring New Zealand-based musicians.
Research | Current
- Performance informed teaching in improvised music
- Exploring the creative practice of improvisation through collaborative research
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Samsom, R. B. (Ed.) (2011). Oxide: Samsom Nacey Haines [Compact disc] [Compact disc] Rattle Records RAT-J-1004.
- Samsom, R. B., Field, K. D., & Holland, O. S. (2009). CD album recording "Irony" with FSH Trio Rattle Records. Related URL.
- Samsom, R. B., Haines, K, & Nacey, D (2008). Open to Suggestions: Samsom Nacey Haines [Compact disc] Auckland: Amplifier. Related URL.
- Samsom, R. B., Brenan, J., & Andrews, G. (2006). The Spectre: Jim Brenan [Compact disc] [Compact disc] Death Defying Records.