Mr Robert Wiremu
Robert studied at Victoria University, the University of Auckland and Queensland Conservatory of Music. Recent collaborations include An Evening with Simon O’Neill, NZ’s own international Wagnerian star, Kiri and Friends (training the chorus for a concert at Vector Arena as part of the Rugby World Cup, 2011 festival featuring Dame Kiri Te Kanawa and the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra); celebrated New Zealand artist Michael Parekowhai, on the launch of his entry for the Venice Art Biennale, On First Looking Into Chapman’s Homer; The Island Chai concert series with Aivale Cole, Benjamin Makisi, Anna Pierard and Phil Rhodes at the Auckland Museum, a concert for the union heads of the Rugby World Cup, 2011. He was artistic director of the V8 Vocal Ensemble, training the group for two performances of Berio’s Sinfonia with James Judd and the NZSO. Robert was formerly conductor of the New Zealand Secondary Students’ Choir and voice clinician for the New Zealand Youth Choir and National Chamber Choir (Voices NZ).
Research | Current
- Singing Technique and Practices
- Operatic Repertoire and Pedagogy
- Lyrical Linguistics
- Choral Repertoire and Pedagogy
- Vocal Coaching
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Grylls, K. L., Te Kanawa, K., & Wiremu, R. A New Day, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa and Voices NZ Chamber Choir, 13/3/2016. [Recital], (2 hours), A concert recital "A New Day", Michael Fowler Centre, Wellington, New Zealand. Commissioning body: New Zealand Festival Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Karen Grylls
- Grylls, K. L., Wiremu, R., & Atchison, M. 30 Years under the Grylls, 7/6/2015. [Live performance], (2 hours), 30 Years Under the Grylls: a concert and celebration., St.-Mary's-in-Holy-Trinity, Parnell, Auckland. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Karen Grylls, Morag Atchison