Professor Uwe Alexander Grodd
Professor Uwe Grodd has performed and recorded internationally for more than 30 years. He teaches flute at all levels and is an accomplished conductor. Professor Grodd gained worldwide recognition when he won First Prize at the Cannes Classical Awards 2000, for the ”Best 18th Century Orchestral Recording” conducting the Nicolaus Esterhazy Sinfonia from Hungary. One of his most ambitious projects has been the recordings of the complete works for piano and orchestra by Beethoven's longstanding friend and student, Ferdinand Ries (1784-1838). Professor Grodd’s reputation as an inspiring teacher is well documented by his students’ international performances and prizes. His editions of music by Hummel, Vanhal, Beethoven and Ries are increasingly in demand.
Research | Current
- Flute performance and pedagogy
- Orchestral and choral conducting and pedagogy
- Late 18th and 19th Century music editing
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Grodd, U. A. Minnesota Composers II [Concert], 10/8/2017. [Concert], (1 hour), 45th Convention of the National Flute Association August 10-13, 2017, Minneapolis Convention Centre USA. Commissioning body: 45th Convention of the National Flute Association 2017 Related URL.
- Grodd, U. A. New Zealand in the South Pacific [Recital], 9/8/2017. [Concert], (1 hour), 45th Convention of the National Flute Association August 10-13, 2017 Minneapolis Convention Center, Minneapolis Convention Center, USA. Commissioning body: 45th Convention of the National Flute Association Related URL.
- Grodd, U. A. Handel: Messiah, 19/12/2016. [Concert], (3 hours), Auckland Choral 2016 Season, Auckland Town Hall, Auckland, New Zealand. Commissioning body: Auckland Choral Related URL.
- Grodd, U. A. The Romantic: Richard Wagner Overture Tannhäuser WWV 70; Wesendonck Lieder Song Cycle WWV 91,; Anton Bruckner Symphony No. 4 in Eb major The Romantic, 26/11/2016. [Concert], (2 hours), Manukau Symphony Orchestra Season 2016, Vodafone Events Centre Auckland. Commissioning body: Manukau Symphony Orchestra Related URL.
- Grodd, U. Hymn of Praise; J S Bach; BWV 542; Artley: O Magnum Mysterium; MacMillan: A New Song; Felix Mendelssohn: Lobgesang (Hymn of Praise); Symphony No. 2, 29/10/2016. [Concert], (2 hours), , Auckland Town Hall, Auckland, New Zealand. Commissioning body: Auckland Choral Related URL.
- Grodd, U. A., & Curro, J. Berlioz: Te Deum, 19/8/2016. [Concert], (2 hours), Celebrating QYS 25th Anniverrsary, Concert Hall, Queensland Performing Arts Centre, Brisbane, Australia. Commissioning body: Brisbane Chorale Related URL.
- Aotea Flute Quartet, Grodd, U. A., Sperling, A., Lin, M., & Harmath, A. Multiple flutes no. 2: Eve de Castro Robinson, the sea-eye flashes; John Elmsly Variations on a Prelude (2016); Joseph Jongen Élégie; Mozart Adagio; Astor Piazzolla Los pajaros peridos, 13/8/2016. [Concert], (35 minutes), National Flute Association 44th Annual Convention San Diego, CA August 11-14, 2016, Golden Ball Room Convention Centre San Diego, USA. Commissioning body: National Flute Association USA
- Grodd, U. MAHLER 3 NZSO Chorus Master, 30/3/2016. [Concert], (2 hours), MAHLER 3 NZSO, Auckland Town Hall. Commissioning body: New Zealand Symphony Orchestra Related URL.