Professor Dean Sutcliffe
BMus, MA (Auckland), MPhil, PhD (Cambridge)
W. Dean Sutcliffe is Professor in the School of Music at the University of Auckland, and co-editor of Eighteenth-Century Music, published by Cambridge University Press, since its inception in 2004. His research interests focus on the eighteenth century, and publications have covered composers such as Domenico Scarlatti, Gyrowetz, Boccherini, Mozart, Scarlatti’s Spanish contemporary Sebastián de Albero and above all Haydn. He has recently completed a chapter on the keyboard music of the Spaniard Manuel Blasco de Nebra (1750-1784) for an edited collection of essays (Instrumental Music in Late Eighteenth-Century Spain, ed. Miguel Ángel Marín and Marius Bernardo (Kassel: Reichenberger, 2014)), and the chapter “Chamber Music” for The Oxford Handbook of Topic Theory, ed. Danuta Mirka (New York: Oxford University Press, 2014). Another recent publication is “The Shapes of Sociability in the Instrumental Music of the Later Eighteenth Century” (Journal of the Royal Musical Association 138/1 (2013)), an expanded version of the address he gave on the occasion of being awarded the Dent Medal for 2009 by the Royal Musical Association. He is Vice President of the Society for Eighteenth-Century Music, a member of the Committee of Honour of the Haydn Society of Great Britain and a member of the Advisory Board of the Haydn Society of North America, and recently served on the Council of the American Musicological Society for a three-year term.
Research | Current
- Trying to define the notion of sociability in relation to the instrumental music of the later eighteenth century
Teaching | Current
- Eighteenth-century music
- Analysis and criticism of music
- Reception history
- Schenkerian voice-leading analysis
- Editor of the new journal Eighteenth-Century Music, published by Cambridge University Press
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Sutcliffe, W. D. (2016). Alfred Hook Lecture: How Haydn clinches closure. Sydney Conservatorium of Music, University of Sydney. 6 October - 6 October 2016. Related URL.
- SUTCLIFFE, W. D. E. A. N. (2014). GAETANO BRUNETTI (1744–1798) STRING QUARTETS Carmen Veneris Lindoro NL-3011, 2012; one disc, 61 minutes. Eighteenth Century Music, 11 (02), 310-312. 10.1017/S1478570614000189
- SUTCLIFFE, W. D. E. A. N. (2014). GAETANO BRUNETTI (1744–1798), ED. MIGUEL ÁNGEL MARÍN AND JORGE FONSECA CUARTETOS DE CUERDA L184–L199 Música Hispana 51 Madrid: Instituto Complutense de Ciencias Musicales, 2013 pp. xl+398, ismn 978 0 901392 5 7. Eighteenth Century Music, 11 (01), 127-132. 10.1017/S1478570613000493
- Sutcliffe, W. D. (2014). Poet of the galant: The keyboard works of Manuel Blasco de Nebra. In Marín MA, M. Bernado (Eds.) Instrumental music in late eighteenth-century Spain. Kassel, Germany: Reichenberger. Related URL.
- Sutcliffe, W. D. (2013). The shapes of sociability in the instrumental music of the later eighteenth century. Journal of the Royal Musical Association, 138 (1), 1-45. 10.1080/02690403.2013.771941
- Sutcliffe, W. D. (2013). The Simplifying cadence: Concession and deflation in later eighteenth-century musical style. Proceedings of the Joint Conference of the Society for Eighteenth-Century Music and the Haydn Society of North America Charleston, South Carolina, USA. Related URL.
- Sutcliffe, W. D. (2012). Ignaz Josef Pleyel (1757-1831) Piano Trios; Trio 1790; cpo 777 544-2, 2011. Eighteenth-Century Music, 9(2), 9 (2), 284-286. 10.1017/S1478570612000206
- Sutcliffe, W. D. (2012). Review of the book Der kadenzielle Prozess in den Durchführungen: Untersuchung der Kopfsätze von Joseph Haydns Streichquartetten by Christhard Zimpel. Music & Letters, 93(2), 93 (2), 238-241. 10.1093/ml/gcs019