Dr Manfredo Manfredini
Manfredo studied architecture and urban design in Milan, Rome and Berlin.
Since 2016 he is Honorary Professor at the Hunan University, Changsha, China.
Manfredo has consistently been involved in fundamental and applied research projects, both locally and internationally research over a wide range of topics in architectural theory and criticism, as well as in design at architectural and urban scales. After teaching architecture and urban design in Italy, Germany and China, since 2010 he has been teaching architecture and urban design at the University of Auckland. His current research interests address post-urban spatialisation forms and correlated design aspects, particularly focusing on valorisation, re-qualification and redevelopment of architectural and urban heritage; affordable and special housing; and education in architecture. Each of these areas has been successfully developed in collaboration with international and multi-disciplinary teams, as proven by the track record of consistent publications, successful grants (national and international) and awards (e.g. first price Biennale di Venezia, Sironi Group), and invited participation in major global events (e.g. United Nation Habitat III).
Research | Current
- Urban design history, theory and criticism
- Architecture and spatial design history, theory and criticism
- Affordable and social housing history, theory and practice
- Modern European architecture history, theory and criticism
- Sustainable development
- Education in architecture
Teaching | Current
BAS, MArch and PhD Architecture and Urban Design
PhD in Architecture; Candidate: Farzad Zamani Gharaghooshi; thesis title: Rethinking Public Place: A Critical Analysis of Urban Social Movements in Age of Digital Technologies.
PhD in Urban Design; Candidate: Xin Tian; thesis title: The Civic Integrated Megamall Enclosures as a rising urban component in rapidly developing Chinese cities.
PhD in Urban Design; candidate: Raja Jusmartinah; thesis title: The malled-kampung as emerging urban element in Indonesian cities.
PhD in Urban Planning; candidate: Eva Zombori; thesis title: Designing for indeterminacy and inclusivity in public space.
PhD in Urban Design; candidate: Ramin Norouzian, Thesis title: The effect of electronic media on interaction in the contemporary city.
PhD in Urban Design; candidate: Sergio Rugik Gomes; thesis title: Gated territories - Territorial Organization and Control in the Architecture and Urban Design of Gated Communities.
PhD in Urban Design; candidate: Dung Anh Ta, this title: The production of plural spatialities - Counter-space territories in the streets.
Honorary Professor, Hunan University, Changsha China
School Director (International Engagement)
Areas of expertise
Architecture and urban design
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Manfredini, M., Zamani Garaghooshi, F., & Leardini, P. (2017). Instances of emerging agonistic spatialities in the contemporary city: The production of differential geographies in the public space of Istanbul. Asian Journal of Humanities and Social Studies, 5 (5), 281-291.
- Manfredini, M., Xin, T., Jenner, R., & Besgen, A. (2017). Transductive Urbanism: A method for the analysis of the relational infrastructure of malled metropolitan centres in Auckland, New Zealand. Athens Journal of Architecture, 3 (4), 411-440.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ross Jenner
- Manfredini, M., & Ta, A. D. (2017). The production of pluralistic spatialities: The persistence of counter-space territories in the streets of Hanoi, Vietnam. In R. Galdini, A. Marata (Eds.) La Città creativa: Spazi pubblici e luoghi della quotidianità [Creative Cities: Public Spaces and Everyday Places] (pp. 373-381). Rome, Italy: CNAPPC (Consiglio Nazionale Architet Pianifcatori Paesaggist e Conservatori).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Anh Dung Ta
- Manfredini, M. (2017). Macau. In U. Carughi, M. Visone (Eds.) Time frames: Conservation policies for twentieth-century architectural heritage (pp. 156-158). London. UK: Routledge.
- Brown, D. K., Manfredini, M., McPherson, P., Pretty, A., Rieger, U., & Southcombe, M. (Eds.) (2017). Critical thresholds: Traversing architectural pedagogy, research and practice. (Special issue of the Journal of Public Space.). Brisbane, Australia (journal): Queensland University of Technology. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Uwe Rieger
- Manfredini, M., Bravo, L., Guaralda, M., Tieben, H., & Saltos Espinoza, L. A. (2017). Stand up for Public Space! A networking event at the Habitat III conference and a global online campaign. Journal of Public Space, 2 (1), 163-166. 10.5204/jps.v2i1.61
- Manfredini, M. (2017). The augmented meta-public space: Interpreting emerging transductive territories in enhanced centres of consumption. The Journal of Public Space, 2 (3 Special issue), 111-128. 10.5204/jps.v2i3.120
- Manfredini, M., & Rieger, U. (2017). Dynamics of territorial production in situated and community projects. The Journal of Public Space, 2 (3 Special issue), 129-134. 10.5204/jps.v2i3.121
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Uwe Rieger