Ms Carla Amaral
MDes, BDes, BFA, AFHEA
Carla Amaral is a designer, researcher, and educator. Carla is interested in the areas of transformative service design, health and wellbeing, and design democratisation. She is currently involved in research focusing on how digital platforms can empower people with physical disabilities in their mobility experiences. Carla has vast teaching and research experience in multiple contexts, including Brazil, Australia, and New Zealand. She is continuously working to incorporate Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to her teaching and research practice, particularly SDGs 3 (good health and wellbeing) and 10 (reduced inequalities).
Research | Current
- Transformative Service Design
- Digitally-enabled Services
- Digital Technologies
Teaching | Current
Bachelor of Design:
- DESIGN 101 Why We Design?
- DESIGN 230 Design and Healthy Communities
Academic Teaching and Learning Committee
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Sartori do Amaral, C., Chamorro-Koc, M., Beatson, A., & Tuzovic, S. (2020). When mobility becomes a challenge: A human-centred approach to understand the needs of people with disabilities. Paper presented at 11th SERVSIG 2020 Conference - High Tech and High Touch: The Future of Human Service, Brisbane, Australia. 9 July - 12 July 2020. High Tech and High Touch: The Future of Human Service Book of Abstracts. Related URL.
- Sartori do Amaral, C., Chamorro-Koc, M., Beatson, A., & Tuzovic, S. (1/5/2019). Participants as the experts: A design perspective on transformative research enquire. Poster presented at 17th Qualitative Methods Conference, Brisbane, Australia. Related URL.
- Sartori do Amaral, C., Chamorro-Koc, M., Beatson, A., & Tuzovic, S. (2019). Enabling self-determination through transformative service design and digital technologies: studying mobility experiences of people with disability. Proceedings of the International Association of Societies of Design Research Conference 2019 Manchester, United Kingdom. Related URL.
- Rieger, J., Chamorro-Koc, M., Beatson, M., & Sartori do Amaral, C. (2018). Creating a Culture of Inclusion in the Public Service Sector: Research Report. Australia: QUT Design Lab. Related URL.
- Sartori do Amaral, C. (2016). Exploring the relationships between design & public libraries through the lens of service design Queensland University of Technology. QUT Eprints. Related URL.
- Sartori do Amaral, C., Taboada, M., & Chamorro-Koc, M. (2014). Design democratisation and its understandings through the meaning of the word 'design' in Portuguese colonised countries. In K. Pope, F. Freschi, L. Collina, D. Laubscher, A. Breytenbach (Eds.) Design with the other 90%: Cumulus Johannesburg Conference Proceedings, 162-168. Johannesburg, South Africa. Related URL.