Mr James Cousins
MFA, BFA, DipTech
James Cousins graduated from Canterbury’s Ilam art school in 1990 before travelling to Europe and living in the UK. After returning to New Zealand, Cousins continued his study, graduating with a Master of Fine Arts from Elam School of Fine Arts in Auckland.
In 2000, Cousins was the recipient of the Christchurch-based Olivia Spencer-Bower Award Fellowship and works created during his residency are now part of the Christchurch Art Gallery collection. Cousins has since been selected for inclusion in numerous award exhibitions, including: The Wallace Art Awards, 2005; Waikato National Art Awards, 2002 and the Visa Gold Awards, 1998 and 1966. In 2004, Cousins was selected for inclusion in ‘Code NZ’ at Canvas International in the Netherlands, which resulted in participation in Art Rotterdam 2005. During 2007, Cousins was included in the contemporary painting exhibition PX: A Purposeless Production/A Necessary Praxis at ST Paul St Gallery, Auckland, curated by Leonhard Emmerling. In 2015/16, Restless Idiom a survey exhibition of Cousins' work, curated by Ioana Gordon-Smith was held at Te Uru, Waitakere Contemporary Gallery. Cousins' works were included in the 2015/16 exhibition Necessary Disatraction, A Painting Show, Auckland Art Gallery, Toi o Tāmaki, currated by Natasha Conland.
Research | Current
- Art theory
Teaching | Current
Mr Cousins teaches courses across undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
- Residency, Oliver Spencer Bower Foundation Award, 2000
Areas of expertise
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Cousins, J. Step Size Zero [Acrylic and oil on canvas] Gow Langsford Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand. 5/9/2018 - 29/9/2018 Related URL.
- Cousins, J. Resident [oil on canvas] Gow Langsford Galleries Auckland New Zealand. 3/8/2016 - 27/5/2016 Related URL.
- Cousins, J. (27/5/2016). Plate 441 (untitled) [2150 x1950mm oil and acrylic on canvas], Auckland Art Fair, The Cloud Auckland Waterfront. Related URL.
- Cousins, J. (27/5/2016). Plate 396 (untitled) [2150 x 1950mm, Oil and acrylic on canvas], Auckland Art Fair 2016, The Cloud, Auckland Waterfront. Related URL.
- Cousins, J. Necessary Distraction: A Painting Show [Acrylic and Oil on Canvas] Auckland Art Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand. 28/11/2015 - 28/3/2016 Related URL.
- Cousins, J. Restless Idiom: A mini-survey of Cousins recent work. Made between 2009-2015 [Paintings: Acrylic and Oil on Canvas] Te Uru, Waitakere Contemporary Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand. 28/11/2015 - 21/2/2016 Related URL.
- Cousins, J. (16/9/2015). (Untitled) Plate 552 [Oil and acrylic on Canvas], Spring Catalogue: Group Exhibition, Gow Langsford Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand. Related URL.
- Cousins, J. (10/9/2015). No Title (Spoke) [Acrylic and Oil on Canvas], Sydney Contemporary Art Fair, Sydney Contemporary, Carriageworks, Sydney, Austrailia. Related URL.