Associate Professor Joyce Mary Campbell
Joyce Campbell (b. 1971, New Zealand) is an interdisciplinary artist whose recent work utilizes anachronistic photographic techniques such as daguerreotype and ambrotype, as well as conventional analogue and digital photography, video, film and sculpture to examine the collision of natural and cultural systems. Campbell’s interest in biological and physical systems has led her to develop a set of photographic techniques that render visible the minute and incremental emergence of complex form, be that the growth of a microbial colony, crystals in the process of formation, the migration of glaciers into the ocean or of silver from an electrode into colloidal suspension.
Campbell often works with large format cameras in challenging environments that have ranged from the ice fields of Antarctica and the flooded river gorges of rural New Zealand to California’s desert washes and urban industrial brownfields. She produces mural scale photographs that invite her audiences to immerse themselves in the environments depicted and occasionally abandons photographic negatives altogether in pursuit of her actual objects of attention: organic form in the process of emergence, and the play of raw perception against interpretation.
Research | Current
- Photographic processes ranging from antiquarian to contemporary
- Ecology, Phenomenology, Postcolonialism, Marxist critique
Teaching | Current
Post Graduate Diploma in Fine Arts
Masters in Fine Arts
Associate Head, Research and Postgraduate studies
Elam School of Fine Arts
Areas of expertise
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Campbell, J. M., & Niania, R. Taniwha whakaheke [Photographs] 20th Biennale of Sydney: The future is already here - it's just not evenly distributed. Sydney, Australia. 30/7/2016 - 3/9/2016 Related URL.
- Campbell, J. M. Flightdream II [Video] The Walters Prize 2016. Auckland Art Gallery. 16/7/2016 - 13/10/2016
- Campbell, J. M. Flightdream [HD Video] Two Rooms Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand. 24/9/2015 - 24/10/2015 Related URL.
- Campbell, J. M. Three Women [Silver Gelatin Photograph] McNamara Gallery, Whanganui, NZ, October 2014. 7/11/2014 - 28/12/2014 Related URL.
- Campbell, J. M. Te Taniwha/Crown Coach [Photography and Film] Nichols Gallery, Pitzer College, Claremont CA, United States of America. 15/9/2012 - 7/12/2012
- Campbell, J. M. Hinekorako: Te Taniwha o Te Reinga [Silver Gelatin Photographs, Daguerreotypes and Video Installation] Wairoa Waikaremoana Trust Board in association with the Wairoa Museum. 17/12/2011 - 31/1/2012
- Campbell, J. M. Tororauiri (Solo exhibition) [Silver Gelatin Photographs and Video Installation] Leigh Marine Reserve Interpretive Centre. 11/12/2011 - 20/2/2012
- Campbell, J. M. Marianas (Solo exhibition) [C Type Photographs] Two Rooms Gallery. 28/10/2011 - 26/11/2011