Associate Professor James Tibbles
James Tibbles is one of New Zealand’s leading players of historic keyboards (harpsichord, clavichord, fortepiano and organ), and a key figure in New Zealand’s Early Music scene. James has an active performing career, both in this country and overseas. James is Head of the Early Music Department in the School of Music, Artistic Director of Age of Discovery, and a member of the baroque chamber ensemble Extempore.
James holds a B.Mus (Perf) and MMus in Organ and Harpsichord from the University of Auckland. Subsequent to studying in New Zealand he undertook postgraduate study at the Royal Conservatory, the Hague, as well as pursuing studies in historic organ and fortepiano.
Formerly Director of Music at Auckland's Holy Trinity Cathedral, he is now Organist & Director of Music at St Patrick's Cathedral, as well as Assistant Music Director of New Zealand Choir. James established the vocal ensemble Voices of Age of Discovery in 2011; the group is rapidly gaining a reputation for its outstanding performances of Renaissance polyphony.
James has an extensive discography, including recordings of English organ music on the 1779 Avery organ in Ponsonby, Auckland, Bach harpsichord works on the University of Auckland's Zell copy, North German Organ Music, on the Ahrend organ at Melbourne's Monash University, and the complete F. Couperin organ masses, on the 17th century organ at Rozay-en-Brie, France.
Research | Current
- Historic Performance Practice
- Early Keyboards
- Early Keyboard Pedagogy
- Early Music in New Zealand
Teaching | Current
Historic Performance Practice
Early Keyboards (harpsichord, clavichord, fortepiano, historic organ)
Early Music Unit Coordinator
Areas of expertise
Early Keyboards - Harpsichord, Clavichord, Fortepiano, Organ
Historic Performance Practice
- Artistic Director of Age of Discovery
- Member of the early music ensemble Extempore
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Tibbles, J. H. Recital d'orgue [Organ Recital], 7/6/2013. (90 minutes), Les concerts de la saison 2013, Rozay en Brie, France.
- Tibbles, J. H. F. Couperin The Complete Organ Masses, 1/1/2012. [CD recording], (1.41.03), Paladino Music, Rozay-en-Brie, France. Commissioning body: University of Auckland Related URL.
- Tibbles, J. H. Organ recital, 28/9/2010. (90 minutes), International Recital Series 2010, Scots Church, Melbourne, Australia. Commissioning body: Scots Church
- Tibbles, J. H. North German Organ Music [CD recording], 5/7/2010. [CD and booklet (PMR0015)], Recording on Ahrend Organ, Monash University, Melbourne.
- Tibbles, J. J.S. Bach in the Italian Style (JH Tibbles, harpsichord) [CD recording], 1/2/2008. [CD (ACD509)], (72 min.), Recorded in the Music Theate, School of Music, The University of Auckland, February, July 2008., School of Music, The University of Auckland. Commissioning body: Atoll Ltd
- Tibbles, J. Sesquialtera [CD recording], 26/5/2006. [CD (ACD406) + booklet], (77 min.), Recorded at Ponsonby Baptist Church, Auckland, May 2006., Ponsonby Baptist Church, Auckland.
- Tibbles, J., Tibbles, S., McPhail, G., & Cooke, M. Chamber Music by the Sons of Bach, 1/1/2005. [CD and booklet], Extempore CD, Music Theatre, University of Auckland. Commissioning body: Atoll Related URL.
- Media Contact
+64 21 2764546
Primary office location
MUSIC SCHOOL - Bldg 250
Level 1, Room 102
6 SYMONDS ST