Dr Morag Catriona Atchison
DipRAM, PGDip(Opera), LRAM (Royal Academy of Music), BMus(Hons), DMA
Morag Atchison has firmly established herself as one of New Zealand’s leading sopranos. She studied at the University of Auckland and Royal Academy of Music (London), and was a finalist in the Kathleen Ferrier and Royal Over-Seas League Competitions. She has performed operatic roles including Helmwige, Die Walküre (NZSO); Lady-in-waiting, Verdi’s Macbeth; First Lady, Magic Flute (NBR NZ Opera); Fourth Maid, Strauss’ Elektra (APO); Blumenmädchen, Parsifal (NZSO) and Sandrina, La Finta Giardiniera (Opera Unleashed, Hamilton Festival). Morag’s concert engagements include performances with the Britten's War Requiem (CSO), Toronto Children’s Chorus; Mozart Requiem and Mozart’s arrangement of Handel’s Messiah (Voices NZ and Wellington Sinfonia); Tippett’s A Child of our Time with the NZ Youth Choir and NZSO National Youth Orchestra; and Beethoven’s Ah! perfido (APO and Manukau Symphony).
Morag is Lecturer in Voice at the University of Auckland, is a vocal tutor for the NZ Youth Choir, the University of Auckland Chamber Choir and the award-winning Choralation from Westlake Girls’ and Boys’ High Schools. In 2013 Morag was awarded a doctorate in Musical Arts from the University of Auckland, the first DMA in vocal studies from a New Zealand University.
Kayla Collingwood, MMus, Vocal Performance
Fiona Tibbles, MMus, Vocal Performance and academic
Amy Chang, Honours Special Topic, The Songs of Purcell
Areas of expertise
- Vocal Pedagogy
- Choral Pedagagy (voice specialist)
- Language Tuition
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Atchison, M. Sweet Chance: music for soprano, mezzo soprano and piano, 3/10/2016. [Live Performance], (90mins), Chamber Music New Zealand: Encompass Regional Concerts, Old Library, Whangarei, New Zealand. Commissioning body: Chamber Music New Zealand Related URL.
- Grodd, U. A., & Atchison, M. English Fantasy : from Tallis to Rutter conducted by Uwe Grodd, 1/6/2016. [Concert], (90 minutes), English Fantasy - Auckland Choral and Pipers Sinfonia at St Matthew-in-the-City, St Matthew-in-the-City, Auckland, New Zealand. Commissioning body: Auckland Choral Related URL.
- Atchison, M., & D'Cruze R Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, 30/4/2016. [Live Performance], (180 mins), Christchurch City Choir Presents Carmina Burana, Charles Luney Auditorium, Christchurch. Commissioning body: Christchurch City Choir Related URL.
- Northey, B., Atchison, M., Holt, J., & Bowen, C. Benjamin Britten's War Requiem opp. 66, 3/10/2015. [Concert], (180 mins), CSO 2015 Series: Lamb and Haywood Masterworks:, Airforce Museum of NZ, Christchurch, New Zealand. Commissioning body: Christchurch Symphony Orchestra
- Grodd, U. A., & Atchison, M. War and Peace, 25/4/2014. (2 hours), Auckland Choral War&Peace concert, Auckland Town Hall, Auckland, New Zealand. Related URL.
- Grylls, K., & Atchison, M. Mozart's Requim by candlelight [Wellington Cathedral of St Paul], 1/1/2012. Voices New Zealand, Wellington Cathedral of St Paul, Wellington, New Zealand. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Karen Grylls