Dr Olivier Holland
Dipl.Mus. Folkwang Hochschule Essen, Germany, DMA University of Auckland
Bassist, composer, arranger and educator Olivier Holland has performed at major festivals and venues in Europe, Australasia and the US, with artists such as Geoffrey Keezer, Terreon Gully, Joscho Stephan, Denis Gaebel, Danny Weiss, Djamel Laroussi, Nathan Haines, Whirimako Black, Stefon Harris, John Goldsby, Doug Lawrence, Jamey Oehlers, James Muller and Florian Ross – to name a few. 2017 also saw him perform and present at the ISB (International Society of Bassists) world convention in New York. He has to date contributed to 22 CD releases, 3 of which are his own projects. His current CD recording projects include “GJAZZ” featuring Geoffrey Keezer, Terreon Gully, Joscho Stephan, Roger Manins and Denis Gaebel, to be released late 2018, as well as DOG+1 feat. James Muller (released in June 2018) and BIG TICKET, feat. Florian Ross, Claudius Valk and Fabian Ahrens, Germany.
Additionally to his extensive performance and recording activities, Olivier’s research interests include aspects pertaining to playing technique for jazz double bass and electric bass. Accordingly, he has published an article entitled “The Personalisation of Jazz Bass Pizzicato” in the US magazine “Bass World” in 2016.
Research | Current
- Teaching method: Personalisation of Technique for double bass
- Live performance and recording
- Jazz Composition
- Jazz Arranging
- Music production
Teaching | Current
Jazz Electric Bass instrument instruction
Jazz Double Bass instrument instruction
Jazz Special Topic
Jazz Ensemble Direction
Current: Masters, DMus
Areas of expertise
Jazz Electric Bass
Jazz Double Bass
- Olivier Holland: “The Big Ticket”
- DOG+1 featuring James Muller
- Whirimako Black "Sings”
- Carolina Moon Group "East of the sun"
- Roger Manins/Bernie Mcgann "Latitude"
- Murray Thom / Nathan Haines "Cocktails"
- Young Um Trio "Distance"
- Julie Mason and the Jazz Divas "Charmed Life"
- FSH Trio "IRONY"
- Manos Achalinotopoulos “Flight on light”
- Phil Broadhurst Quartett "Delayed Reaction"
- "Samurai Spirit-Japan Benefit Compilation"
- Olivier Holland "Gypsy meets Jazz”
- Olivier Holland "DUETS"
- Trio Zauberberg III “Zauberberg III”
- Staatsphilharmonie Krakau – Bigband der Stadt Hamm: “Classic meets Jazz”
- Joscho Stephan “Swing News”
- Patric Siewert “Patric Siewert”
- DOG “DOG”
- Nick Granville “Refractions”
- Soeren Leyers “Soeren Leyers Swingtett”
- Phil Broadhurst Quartett “Flaubert’s Dance”
- Olivier Holland "Gypsy meets Groove"
- Kim Patterson “The Duende”
- To be released 2018: Olivier Holland “GJAZZ”
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Field, K., Manins, R., Holland, O., & Samsom, R. Dog, 1/4/2014. [CD], (72:46), , Commissioning body: University of Auckland, Rattle Records
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kevin Field, Ron Samsom, Roger Manins
- Holland, O. Gypsy Meets Groove: Olivier Holland feat. Joscho Stephan, 1/1/2014. [CD], (52:38), .
- Holland, O. S. (2011). Duets: Olivier Holland [Compact Disc] New Zealand: Ode records, CDMANU5102.
- Holland, O. S., & Stephan, J. (2011). Gypsy meets Jazz: Stephan Joscho, Olivier Holland [Compact disc] Germany: Acoustic Music Records (Germany) EX 16414. EX 16414.
- Holland, O. S., & Manins, R. (2010). Latitude Australia: Rufus Records, RF096.
- Samsom, R. B., Field, K. D., & Holland, O. S. Irony: FSH Trio [Compact disc], 1/1/2009. [Compact Disc], Kevin Field Ron Samsom Olivier Holland, recorded October 25,26, and December 4 2008 at the Kenneth Myers Centre NZ. Commissioning body: Rattle records
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ron Samsom