Mr Roger Manins
BMus (Hons.)(First Class) New Zealand School of Music. ADJS (Ass.Dip. Jazz Studies), Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
Roger Manins lives in Auckland New Zealand and is regarded by many as one of the leading Jazz saxophonists in the Southern Hemisphere. He has appeared as featured soloist on 40+ Jazz albums and has released several CDs as leader and in collaboration with others, including the critically acclaimed release Two-out with pianist Mike Nock. In the last ten years he has featured on four albums that have won the NZ 'Jazz Album of the Year' award, including Dog, Panacea, Fearless Music and Resonator. He has been featured artist on many performances with Australia’s Mothership Orchestra, including high profile artists such as Maria Schneider, Florian Ross and Darcy James Argue, and was featured soloist for the 2017 Australian National Jazz Orchestra inaugural performance at the Sydney Con International Jazz Festival. In 2002 he was awarded the International Journalist Association ‘Jazz Hero Award’, and in 2000 he won the Wangaratta Australian National Jazz Awards competition on saxophone. Roger is Artistic Director and a founding member of Creative Jazz Club Aotearoa and a Senior lecturer at the University of Auckland.
Teaching | Current
Current Teaching 2019: MUS 375, Composition and Arranging. MUS 270, 271 Improvisation and Saxophone. MUS 187 A & B, MUS 297 A & B, MUS 397 Large Ensemble Big Band. MUS 770, MUS 771, Jazz Performance Research. MUS 773, Jazz Composition and Arranging II. MUS 370, Saxophone.
Current Supervision 2019
Felix Hayes - Tourelle: MUS 770, Jazz Performance Research 1
Lukas Fritch: MUS 771, Jazz Performance Research 2
Michael Gianan: MUS 750 Performance Research Project
Areas of expertise
Composition and Arranging
Advanced Theory for Jazz Saxophone
Programming of Concerts and Events, Auckland City for CJC, and the UOA Jazz Department.
Creative Jazz Club Steering Committee, Treasurer, Artistic direction.
School of Music Research Committee.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Australian National Jazz Orchestra, Theak, D., Manins, R., & Mulder, N. Child's play, 1/12/2017. [CD], , Commissioning body: 54 Records
- Garzone, G., Field, K., Cole, M., Samsom, R., & Lockett, M. George Garzone [New Zealand tour], 15/8/2017. [Performance], , Creative Jazz Club Auckland, Pyramid Club Wellington, Orange Studios Christchurch, New Zealand. Commissioning body: Creative Jazz Club
- Watson, N., Samsom, R., Manins, R., & Holland, O. Studies in tubular, 10/2/2017. [CD], .
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ron Samsom, Olivier Holland
- Lawrence, D., Samsom, R., Holland, O., Field, K., & Manins, R. Doug Lawrence [Quartet], 1/6/2015. [Live performance], UOA Monday Night Jazz series, Studio One, Kenneth Myers Centre, Auckland, New Zealand. Commissioning body: UOA
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ron Samsom, Kevin Field, Olivier Holland
- Manins, R., Field, K., Holland, O., Samsom, R., & Cody C Chris Cody and DOG, 5/4/2015. [Concert], New Orleans Music Factory: National Jazz Festival, Tauranga, 2 - 6 Apr., 2015, Big easy Outdoor Stage, Tauranga, New Zealand.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Olivier Holland
- Manins, R., Hunter, S., Ponting, A., Clarke, B., & Hall, T. Hip Flask 2, 1/9/2014. [CD], (66:15), , Commissioning body: Rattle Records
- Manins, R. W., Broadhurst, P., Sangster, C., Holland, O., & Booth, M. Phil Broadhurst Quintet @ CJC Jazz, 9/4/2014. Creative Jazz Club Performance, 1885 Britomart. Related URL.
- Field, K., Manins, R., Holland, O., & Samsom, R. Dog, 1/4/2014. [CD], (72:46), , Commissioning body: University of Auckland, Rattle Records
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kevin Field, Ron Samsom, Olivier Holland