Dr Fabio Morreale
PhD, MCompSc, BCompSc
I am a Lecturer and Coordinator of Music Technology and Director of Research at the School of Music of the University of Auckland. Prior to that, I worked as a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Augmented Instruments Laboratory at Queen Mary University of London and at the Interaction Lab of the University of Trento. I have a PhD in Human-Computer Interaction applied to Music Technology and a MSc in Computer Science.
Research | Current
My research is aimed at critically assessing the impact of technology on music creation, learning, and consumption and at designing alternative futures by drawing inspiration from methodologies and epistemologies from different disciplines, among which Human-Computer Interaction, Sociology, and Philosophy.
Teaching | Current
In 2021 I will teach the following courses (* = co-taught)
- MUS 111 - Composition 2 - Composing with computers *
- MUS 258 - Special Topic: Music Computing
- MUS 346 - Experimental Music *
- MUS 311 - Composition 6 - Algorithmic composition *
- MUS 358 - Special Topic: Musical Interface Design
- MUS 735 - Advanced Studies in Music Production and Technology *
- MUS 737 - Music Technology Research
I am currently recruiting master and doctoral students for projects aligned with my research interests but will also consider other topics in the area of Music Technology.
- Director of Research, School of Music
- Coordinator of Music Technology
Areas of expertise
- Human-computer interaction
- Digital musical instrument design
- Computer music
- Music & Artificial Intelligence
- Generative art
- Philosophy of technology
- Music streaming critique
- School of Music Research Committee (Chair)
- School of Music Executive Committee
- Faculty of Creative Arts & Industries Research Committee
- School of Music Academic & Teaching/Learning Committee
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Morreale, F., Bin, A, McPherson, A, Stapleton, P, & Wanderley, M (2020). A NIME of the Times: Developing an Outward-Looking Political Agenda For This Community. Proceedings of the International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression Royal Birmingham Conservatoire. Related URL.
- Morreale, F., & Eriksson, M. (2020). “My Library Has Just Been Obliterated”: Producing New Norms of Use Via Software Update. SIGCHI Conference Proceedings Honolulu, Hawaii, United States: ACM. 10.1145/3313831.3376308
- Morreale, F., Guidi, A., & McPherson, A. (2019). Magpick: an Augmented Guitar Pick for Nuanced Control. Proceedings of the International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression Porto Alegre, Brazil. Related URL.
- Morreale, F., Armitage, J., & McPherson, A. (2018). Effect of Instrument Structure Alterations on Violin Performance. Frontiers in psychology, 910.3389/fpsyg.2018.02436
- Morreale, F., Moro, G., Chamberlain, A., Benford, S., & McPherson, A. P. (2017). Building a Maker Community Around an Open Hardware Platform. Paper presented at ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI), Denver, CO. 6 May - 11 May 2017. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 2017 ACM SIGCHI CONFERENCE ON HUMAN FACTORS IN COMPUTING SYSTEMS (CHI'17). (pp. 12). 10.1145/3025453.3026056
Primary office location
FISHER BUILDING - Bldg 804
Level 9, Room 915
18 WATERLOO QUADRANT