Dr Ferdinand Oswald
Dr Ferdinand Oswald is the course co-ordinator of two Design Technology courses at the School of Architecture and Planning at the University of Auckland. He holds a master degree in Architecture and a PhD in Architecture Engineering Science. Born in Stuttgart, Germany, he studied architecture at Escuela Tecnica Superior de Arquitectura in Granada (Spain), Agency of Urban Planning in Bern (Switzerland) and graduated at Technical University Dresden (Germany).
In 2007 he realized the first German apartment block in “Passive House Standard” as project head architect with Stefan Forster Architects in Frankfurt am Main (Germany). He taught at Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences “construction and design”. Since 2008 he has been working at the Institute of Architecture Technology, IAT, Graz University of Technology in teaching and research positions. Here he became the leader of the research laboratory section IAT-LAB. His research and teaching has a specific focus on sustainable and energy efficient façade and building technologies. He won several research prices like the “European Recycling Award 2015”, “Innovation price Architecture and Building” at BAU Munich and granted several European patents.
His doctoral thesis “Reduce A/C – Reducing the utilisation of air conditioning in high-rise buildings in subtropical and tropical climate regions” was supervised by Prof. Roger Riewe (Graz, Austria) and Prof. Werner Sobek (Stuttgart, Germany). He is editor of several books and his research work has been published in several international magazines, journals and books. He organized several international conferences and symposiums: “Sustainable Smart Cities” 2011, “High Density & Living Comfort – Requirements of Dense Housing Areas – China Austria 2013 “. He is member of the CTBUH (Council for Tall Building and Urban Habitat) and Asia-Pacific Network for Housing Research (APNHR). He has organized numerous exhibitions, has taken part in scientific review panels and has been jury member of several commissions and appeal committees. He was Visiting Professor 2017 at Qingdao Technological University, Department of Architecture, Qingdao, China and 2018 Visiting Professor at German University of Cairo, Department of Architecture and Urban Design Program, Cairo, Egypt.
Research | Current
Main research interests are:
· Improvement of thermal comfort by reducing energy loads with architectonical means
· Approaches of conceptual and fundamental solutions to optimize natural ventilation - Optimized Natural Ventilation
· Solar thermal energy as an design instrument for architects
· Energy-efficient and sustainable façade and building system - Facade Design Strategies
· Reuse, recycling and separability of building components
· Optimization of building lifespan and overall energy balance of housings
· Innovative approaches for solar thermal panels and PV as a construction tool for design opportunities
· Enhancing thermal living comfort with ecological building technology
· Cardboard architecture
· Reduce of air conditioning usage and increase thermal comfort in tropics and subtropics
Past and Current Research Projects:
_Project “Hook-and-Loop fastener-application for the technical building equipment” public grant by Federal Ministry Republic of Austria, Transport, Innovation ans Technology, 2018.
_Project “facade4zero”, “facade4zeroWaste” and “StoSystain”: Recyclable façade system with reclosable fastener fixation - Research Development, Grants of Patents, Pre-Certification Testing’s and Product Publication of Façade System StoSystain R; contract research by Sto SE & Co. KGaA Germany and Sto GesmbH Austria, 2009-ongoing.
_Project “CartSmart” - cardboard architecture, global fund by Chancellor office Graz University of Technology, Austria, 2018.
_Project “Optimized Natural Ventilation - Development of conceptual and fundamental solutions to optimize natural ventilation in high-rise apartment buildings in sub-tropical regions”; global fund by Chancellor office Graz University of Technology, Austria, 2017.
_Project “Reduce A/C - Reducing the utilisation of air conditioning in high-rise buildings in subtropical and tropical climate regions”; grant from “Afro Asian Institute” (AAI), Graz Austria, 2016.
_Project “UNAB - Sustainable Design process & Integrated Facades”; “Architectural Design of Façade Elements”; public grant: Future Fond Styria, Austria, 2014-2016.
_Project “High Density and Living Comfort - Requirements of Dense Housing Areas”, funded by Confucius Institute Graz und Karl-Franzens-University Graz, Austria, 2013-2015.
_Project “Facade Design Strategies - Sustainable Living in High Density Structures”, funded by ASEAN UNINET (European Academic University Network) 2015.
_ Project “Reduce A/C - Reducing the utilisation of air conditioning in high-rise buildings in subtropical and tropical climate regions”, public fund by Federal State of Styria, Austria, 2015.
_Project “Sustainable Smart Cities” public fund by Styrian Academy and eseia (European Sustainable Energy Innovation Alliance), Austria, 2011-2012.
_Project “Facade Design Strategies - Sustainable Living in High Density Structures”, funded by Eurasia Pacific Uninet Austria (EPU), 2010-2018.
_Project “Detail Archive”, contract research by Riegler Riewe Architects ZT GmbH, Graz, Austria; Berlin, Germany, 2008-2010.
Teaching | Current
ARCHTECH 207 - Design Technology 01 (BAS);
ARCHTECH 108 - Introduction to Sustainability and Technology (BAS).
I supervise MArch, MArch(Prof) and PhD theses in the areas of energy-efficient and sustainable façade and building system.
I'm interested in supervising Master theses (Research or Professional) and PhD students on the above standing topics.
_Innovation Award Architecture and Building, research project “facade4zeroWaste, product “Sto Systain R”, on BAU 2017 Munich, Germany.
_Nomination “Green Tech Award 2016”, research project “facade4zeroWaste” Germany, 2016.
_Award winner “Recycling-Award 2015” of European Quality Association for Recycling e.V. (EQAR), project “facade4zeroWaste”, Berlin Rotterdam, 2015.
_Honour/distinction “Inventor of TU Graz”, European patent application “facade4zeroWaste”, award authority Graz University of Technology, Austria 2011.
_Competition “Neckaruferpromenade” Second Stage, City Council Heidelberg, Germany, 2008.
_Award winner Competition University- and State Library Darmstadt, Germany, Müller Reimann Architects, 2005.
_Nomination Competition Bruno-Tau-Prize, Best diploma thesis of faculty of Architecture 2005,Technical University Dresden, Germany.
_2. Prize Competition BauNetz Campus, diploma thesis “Centro Garcia Lorca in Granada, Spain, 2005.
_1.Prize Urban Competition “Neues Zentrum für Nidderau”, Municipal Planning Office of the City of Nidderau, Germany, 2000.
Member of the School Research Committee, 2019 – current
Member of the Faculty (CAI) Sustainability Working Group, 2019 – current
_ International Scientific Program Committee of the International Conference on Architecture and Environment S.ARCH 2018 in Venice, Italy, 2018.
_International Scientific Review Panel (ISRP) of the World Sustainable Built Environment Conference 2017 Hong Kong, 2017.
_Coordinator for Asian Programs, Faculty of Architecture, in cooperation with International Relations and Mobility Programs, Graz University of Technology, Austria, since 2013.
_Member of the International Scientific Review Panel “Asia Pacific Network for Housing Research” (APNHR), Global housing Dilemmas: The ways forward, Conference University Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, 2013.
_Member Appeals Board, Professor for Institute of Construction and Design Principles , Graz University of Technology, Austria, Chairman: Prof. Loenhardt, 2013.
_Juror/member of the jury: Competition “Urban Furniture Graz”, Chairman: Peter Pakesch, Universal Museum Joanneum Graz, Austria, 2011.
_Juror/member of the jury: “Architekturpreiseins”, Dresden University of Technology, Germany, Head: Prof. Ivan Reimann, Chairman: Prof. Paul Kahlfeld, 2004.
_Member “Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat“(CTBUH), Chicago, USA, since 2012.
_Member “Asia Pacific Network for Housing Research” (APNHR), The University of Hong Kong, China, since 2015.
Organization of conferences and lecture series
_“High Density& Living Comfort - Requirements of Dense Housing Areas”, International Conference und Publication, Institute of Architecture Technology, Graz University of Technology, Austria, 2013.
_Sustainable Smart Cities - International Symposium, Styrian Academy, Institute of ArchitectureTechnology, Graz University of Technology, 2011.
_“November Talks” Lecture Series, Sto Foundation Germany, Institute of Architecture Technology, Graz University of Technology, 2011.
_“Spannweiten” Lecture Series, Faculty of Architecture, Technical University Dresden, Germany, 2004.
_“Architekturpreiseins”, Architecture Competition and exhibition, Faculty of Architecture, TU Dresden, Germany, 2004.
_ “architektur forscht /”, greenEXPO14, exhibition contribution “Structure & Facade - Innovative Facade Systems” Exhibition Centre Vienna, Austria, 2014.
_“architektur leben”, real estate fair “Lebensraum”, exhibition contribution “Innovative Facade Systems” Fair Graz, Austria, 2014.
_“Structure & Facade - Innovative Facade Systems”, Conference exhibition “High Density & Living Comfort”, Graz University of Technology, Austria, 2013.
_“Residential High Rise Tower”, exhibition of faculty of Architecture, TU Graz, “Dom im Berg”, Graz, Austria, 2012.
_Architecture Biennale Venice, exhibition 100YC, exhibition contribution “Specific - Unspecific Maribor”, Australian und Slovenian Pavilion, Venice, Italy, 2012.
_ “Specific - Unspecific Maribor”, Municipal Planning Office of the City of Maribor, Slovenia, 2011.
_“Density” Master Studio “Hong Kong - Frankfurt Residential Tower”, Graz Master Lectures, Prof. Dieter Fink, TU Munich, exhibition Project results, Graz University of Technology, Austria, 2010.
_“Architekturpreiseins”, exhibition award winning projects, Palais of Grand Garden, Dresden, Germany 2004.
Visiting professor/ extern teaching
_Visiting Professor, German University of Cairo, Department of Architecture and Urban Design Program, Cairo, Egypt, 2017-18.
_Visiting Professor, Qingdao Technological University, Department of Architecture, Qingdao, China, 2016-2017.
_Graz University of Technology, Austria, Institute of Building and Energy, Faculty of Architecture Prof. Brian Cody “Masterstudio Interior Urbanism“, 2015.
_Technical University Munich, Germany, Chair of Urban Architecture, Prof. Dietrich Fink, Masterstudio “Residential Tower Munich“, 2011.
_Chinese University of Hong Kong, School of Architecture, Ass. Prof. Esther Lorenz, Masterstudio “Residential Tower Hong Kong und Frankfurt”, 2010.
_Frankfurt University of Applied Science, Germany, Institute for Building Construction and Design, Faculty of Architecture, Prof. Volz, 2006-2008.
_Technical University Darmstadt, Germany, Chair Department of Industrial Methods of Structural Design, Faculty of Architecture, Masterstudio Prof. Hausschild, 2007.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Oswald, F., & Roger, R. (2019). Architectural Design of Façade Elements. In H. KREINER, Alexander Passer (Eds.) Sustainable Design Process & Integrated Facades (pp. 66-75). Graz, Austria: Verlag der Technischen Universität Graz. 10.3217/978-3-85125-611-6
- Oswald, F., & Riewe, R. (2019). Grip Fixing Instead of Adhesive: Exterior Insulation Finishing Systems (EIFS) as a Sorted Recyclable Fa\ccade System with Reclosable Fastener Fixation. In U. Pont, M. Schuss, A. Mahdavi (Eds.) Applied Mechanics and Materials : 12th Envibuild - Buildings and Environment - From Research to Application Proceedings of the 12th International EnviBUILD Conference, 887, 80-89. Vienna, Austria: Scientific.net. 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.887.80
- Oswald, F. (2018). European First Grip Fixing Façade – Recyclable Façade System with Reclosable Fastener Fixation. Paper presented at S.ARCH 2018 Venice, Venedig, Italy. 22 May - 24 May 2018. S.ARCH 2018 Venice: The 5th International Conference on Architecture and Built Environment with AWARDs.
- Oswald, F. (2017). Hong Kong Residential Buildings with Reduction of the Utilisation of Air Conditioning. NEW ARCH-INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CONTEMPORARY ARCHITECTURE, 4 (2), 1-14. 10.14621/tna.20170201
- Oswald, F. (2017). Filter Facade: Reducing the utilisation of air conditioning in residential high-rise buildings with natural ventilation. World Sustainable Built Environment Conference 2017 Hong Kong - Conference Proceeding, 279-283. Hong Kong: Construction Industry Council. Related URL.
- Oswald, F. (2017). „Façade4zero Waste: recyclable façade system with reclosable fastener fixation“. Paper presented at 12th Conference on Advanced Building Skins, Bern, Seitzerland. 2 October - 3 October 2017. Proceedings 12th Conference on Advanced Building Skins.
- Oswald, F. (2016). Architectural Concepts for Reducing the Utilisation of Air Conditioning in Chinese Residential Buildings. Paper presented at EAAF – East Asian Architectural Forum 2016, Qingdao Technological University, China, Qingdao, China. 17 October - 20 October 2016.
- Oswald, F. (2016). Expanding Boundaries: Systems Thinking in the Built Environment. In A. Schlueter, G. Habert (Eds.) The proceedings of the 2016 Sustainable Built Environment (SBE) Regional Conference in Zurich, 708-713. ETH Zürich, Zürich, Schweiz: vdf Hochschulverlag AG an der ETH Z"urich.