Dr Marie Ross
BMus (Eastman School of Music), MMus (San Francisco Conservatory), MMus (The Royal Conservatory of The Hague), DMA (University of North Texas)
Marie Ross is one of the most innovative leaders of the next generation of classical musicians. She frequently performs with superstars like Cecilia Bartoli and Lawrence Brownlee in the world's most famous theaters, Théâtre des Champs-Élysées and Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris, Theater an der Wien in Vienna, and the Berliner Philharmonie, to name a few. She is the Associate Principal Clarinetist with the French orchestra, Ensemble Matheus (Jean-Christophe Spinosi) where she performs everything from Mozart to premieres of contemporary works. She can be heard chatting about her performing experiences, interviewing colleagues and artists of various disciplines, and about other topics like her historical clarinet collection on her podcast, Fidelio.
Born in Little Rock, Arkansas, in the United States, Dr. Ross completed her high school studies at the Interlochen Arts Academy in Michigan. She went on to study modern clarinet performance with Jon Manasse at the Eastman School of Music, and at the San Francisco Conservatory with Luis Baez. Among the first recipients of the Priddy Fellowship for Arts Leadership at the University of North Texas, Dr. Ross traveled to France to participate in a workshop on historical performance practice, which led her to complete a second Master’s Degree in Early Music at The Royal Conservatory in The Hague, Netherlands. She was a student of Eric Hoeprich, with whom she has since performed and recorded. Dr. Ross later came back to the University of North Texas to complete her Doctorate Degree in 2015, writing her dissertation on wind octet arrangements from the Classical period.
Known as a clinician throughout the United States and Europe, Dr. Ross has given masterclasses at some of the most prestigious Conservatories and Universities including The Juilliard School, The Eastman School of Music, the Cleveland Institute of Music, Northwestern University, DePaul University, and Florida State University. In 2016 she was on the faculty for the University of Oxford (UK) summer chamber music courses. She has been invited back to The Royal Conservatory of The Hague, after she graduated herself to coach chamber music projects. Dr. Ross has also given lectures and demonstrations on specialist topics such as "The Performance Practice of Brahms' Music" at the University of Limerick, Ireland.
In the summer of 2016, Dr. Ross organized her own course for modern clarinetists to learn and perform on classical-period historical clarinets at Northeastern University in Chicago. During the course, she performed duos with legendary former Chicago Symphony principal clarinetist, Larry Combs, and led a panel discussion on the Mozart Clarinet Concerto with Combs and Chicago Lyric Opera clarinetist, Charlene Zimmerman.
As a specialist in historical clarinet and early music, Dr. Ross has an extensive career which spans throughout Europe. She performs and records regularly with leading early music orchestras such as Concerto Köln, Le Concert d’Astrée (Emmanuelle Haïm), MusicaAeterna (Teodor Currentzis), and the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin (René Jacobs). Dr. Ross made her debut as soloist with the Dutch National Opera Academy’s 2010 production of Mozart’s, La Clemenza di Tito, conducted by Richard Egarr, where she performed both solo arias on the original basset-clarinet and basset-horn. Delving deep into historical practice, Dr. Ross has built her own instruments, and has a collection of more than 60 historical clarinets from various periods.
Research | Current
Aspects in Performance Practice of Brahms Chamber Music
The Classical Wind Octet and Arrangements for this Ensemble
Teaching | Current
Fidelio Wind Octet
Woodwind Performance Class
Secondary Historical Clarinet
MUS 103 Music Theory Fundamentals
MUS 224 Historical Performance Practice
Felicity Than: British Oboe Music of the Mid-Twentieth Century, completed July 2018
Woodwind Unit Coordinator
International Clarinet Association, National Chair for New Zealand
Organizer and Host of the annual event, The University of Auckland Clarinet Weekend
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Laurent, B., Gorlow, D., Ross, A., Nishida, K., Schulze, M., Hendrikx, R., ... Farkas, G. The Royal Windplayers, 11/11/2016. [Public performance], (90 minutes), Oud nieuws Concertparcours historische instrumenten, Concertgebouw Brugge, Belgium. Commissioning body: Concertgebouw Brugge
- Ross, A. M. Because of Mühlfeld: Marie Ross, original Romantic-period clarinet by Oskar Oehler, 1890s, 10/8/2016. [Solo Clarinet Recital on Historical Instruments], (1.5 hours), The Chicago Historical Clarinet Workshop, Auditorium, Northeastern Illinois University Department of Music, Chicago, Illinois, USA. Commissioning body: Northeastern Illinois University, Chicago, Illinois, USA Related URL.
- Ross, M., Combs, L., & Zimmerman, C. (2016). The Mozart clarinet concerto: Perspectives, a panel discussion. Chicago, Illinois. 8 August - 11 August 2016.
- Ross, A. M. (2016). Curating on air: Dr. Marie Ross (historical clarinet) and the Fidelio Podcast. Limerick, Ireland.
- Ross, A. (2015). A guide to arranging late eighteenth and early nineteenth century Harmoniemusik in an historical style The University of North Texas. The University of North Texas.
+64 21 0259 4018
Primary office location
FISHER BUILDING - Bldg 804
Level 9, Room 912
18 WATERLOO QUADRANT